Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway Easy Core or Mcnaughton: which one should I buy?

Oneway Easy Core or Mcnaughton: which one should I buy?

Which one of these two are easiest to learn and give good results?

I have the McNaughton. Still learning. My support bar will not stay up; but, seems to hold tool. I emailed Kelton last week and am hoping to here about the different kind of nut on my standard system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny Hines
    Greenville, NC

I have the Oneway and it is easy to use with predictable results. Once you learn how to use a coring system it is easy to use. Good training will make any coring system easy to use.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hines View Post
    I have the McNaughton. Still learning. My support bar will not stay up; but, seems to hold tool. I emailed Kelton last week and am hoping to here about the different kind of nut on my standard system.
    Thanks, Dan. I appreciate your candor.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen View Post
    I have the Oneway and it is easy to use with predictable results. Once you learn how to use a coring system it is easy to use. Good training will make any coring system easy to use.
    Thanks Richard. I like the first sentence of your response to me. I just want something easy to use with predictable results.

Any one else have any recommendations?

Harvey I had the oneway system and love it. Like Richard I like simple and predictable. I tried the McNaughton and didn't care for it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dan,

Mine is the same way, and I really have to bear down to get it tight. Pretty sure some other type of lock washer, knob, etc., would fix it, just haven't taken the time to do it. If you don't mind, keep me posted on what Kel says. Thanks.

Harvey,

Per above, I have the McNaughton, like it, would buy it again. Simple, sturdy, well-made (except for that locking thing!), and I got good cores from the git-go.

Either one should serve you well, I would think. Having read a lot on both systems, practice makes perfect.

R
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Tool Post Stop Collar

Dan, You may want to contact Best Wood Tools, 931-788-0429, and talk to them about their tool post stop collars. I use this on my McNaughton tool post and it works in maintaining an adjusted height. They come in sizes from 5/8" to 1-1/2". I do not see this item on their website or in their on-line catalog, but it is listed in their paper catalog that I had gotten by mail. Mine cost about $8.00.

Dan

I've got the Oneway. It was super easy to learn using the DVD included with the package. It is not as versatile as the McNaughton, but like others have said, it cores well, and it gives consistent results. I have talked with folks about the McNaughton at our turning club and they all seem to say the same thing, the McNaughton is a tough tool to learn and a little scary at times! Hope that helps!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Harvey - Everyone likes what they have - Oneway, McNaughton, Woodcut, etc. That's why they bought it. They thought it was the best bowl coring system for THEIR needs. I have a Oneway. I like it. Essentially no learning curve. Easy setup and use. Meets all MY needs.

The first step in the selection process is to define YOUR needs. They may not be the same as those offering advice on this forum.

I suggest you find some folks in a local woodturning club that have the various coring systems. Have them get in touch with you next time they are going to do some coring. Visit their garage/shop/studio and check out the system they use. - John

PS - Here's link to a thread on Sawmill Creek on same subject. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-tools-system

11. I watched a demo last month on coring......the demo-er said he had used both units plus a wood cut, if I remember correctly. He states the easiest and most predictable results he got are with the Oneway...it is the most expensive as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My take,,,,, they call it Easy Core for a reason
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

Harvey, I've owned the Oneway for several years and like it. My advise if you go the Oneway route is to decide what size cores you want then buy only that size/sizes. I bought two knifes and only use the #3. Also pick up the sharpening jig for the cutter. I sharpen every other bowl or when I have to start pushing the tool handle. The Woodcut version also deserves a look although it is much lighter duty. Hard to beat Oneway!!!!!

I have the McNaughton (first generation I believe) and have used it for coring 3 sets of bowls. I had excellent results and the only funnel I made was because I stupidly forgot to switch knives.

I watched a demo of the Oneway at one of the symposiums and it looked really easy to use, once it's set up. The only major thing I noticed was the price difference. If I was going to be turning a bunch of the cored sets I might be able to validate the expense of the Oneway, but for the few times I use mine, the old/used McNaughton works just fine for me.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

The Oneway is the easiest to get started with. It is also a lot more work to set up and costs the most.

Neither one will give "better" or more "predictable" results than the other. Both systems will produce quality, predictable, and quick results once you learn how to use them.

I would say that if you choose a system based on which one is the fastest to learn on, you are choosing for the wrong reason. You may still end up with the same choice in the end, but there are better criteria than learning curve.

As for the "support" bar on the McNaughton rest, you don't need that thing. It just gets in the way. Best thing you can do is just take it off (like the original support).