Thread: Oneida Pro 1500 VS. Laguna MDC0700-0145

Oneida Pro 1500 VS. Laguna MDC0700-0145

I am about to make a purchase of a cyclone style dust collector 3 hp.
    I am comparing the Onieda to the Laguna. The Laguna is a bit more money and has an over-seas motor. The Oneida has a Baldor but the machine has less bells and whistles. For instance the Laguna comes with a remote and a self cleaning motor for the filter. Any comments welcome as to your experiences.

Ask about the filter area and the MERV rating of each. They may be comparable. Spun bond is good, nano is probably better. The cyclone design that separates the fine dust best generally will have the longer cone. Due to the short cyclone the Laguna might need the ability to clean the filter as more dust will get to it. The Baldor motor Onieda uses is a good motor and DC motors work hard if piped correctly. I would take the Onieda but you should also check out the clearvue. While I'm not a fan of the mdf housing you can make it out of plywood. The 5 hp Leeson is a good motor and the cyclone design is very good and they use good filters. If they made the whole thing in steel I would like even more but strictly on a performance scale it is tough to beat. Clearvue or Oneida in my world- for new. Dave

I have an Oneida, can't compare the systems, but I can say the Oneida customer service is great.

I guess I should also be looking at the Clear View... 5hp similar price

Blog Entries
    The ClearVue has better performance for a single person shop (one 6" tool/drop active at a time). The Oneida's larger inlet makes it better if you have multiple drops running @ once. The steel & welded construction of the Oneida makes it a bit more durable over the plastic / MDF Clearvue. I own one of the early Clearvue cyclones and have had zero problems with the plastic. I didn't finish the MDF parts and they absorbed moisture in my garage. Since replacing them with finished versions I haven't had a repeat of the problem. I have yet to hear of any customer service problems with either company. However, I've heard some nightmare stories about Laguna customer service.

Greg, Thanks. I am shying away from the Laguna as well for the same reasons. My friend has a Laguna bandsaw and it came with missing motor hardware. He had a real tough time getting it corrected. I am still thinking about which is better for me between the other two...Clearview or Oneida...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    The ClearVue has better performance for a single person shop (one 6" tool/drop active at a time). The Oneida's larger inlet makes it better if you have multiple drops running @ once. The steel & welded construction of the Oneida makes it a bit more durable over the plastic / MDF Clearvue. I own one of the early Clearvue cyclones and have had zero problems with the plastic. I didn't finish the MDF parts and they absorbed moisture in my garage. Since replacing them with finished versions I haven't had a repeat of the problem. I have yet to hear of any customer service problems with either company. However, I've heard some nightmare stories about Laguna customer service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    Greg, Thanks. I am shying away from the Laguna as well for the same reasons. My friend has a Laguna bandsaw and it came with missing motor hardware. He had a real tough time getting it corrected. I am still thinking about which is better for me between the other two...Clearview or Oneida...
    There are plenty of Clearvue versus Oneida (usually Dust Gorrila model) comparison threads here on the forum. I would just mention that the Clearvue assembly/caulking process takes awhile whereas the Oneida is almost fully assembled. I build my own remote start for the Clearvue; I believe Oneida offers an off-the-shelf option. As a hobbyist I didn't mind the extra assembly time given the additional performance of the Clearvue; for a person running a business the tradeoff may be different.

Between the two you ask about...the Oneida hands-down. Dust collection is all they do. I've been to their factory, seen how they design, engineer and build them and am a satisfied owner.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I debated the same question between those cyclones and ended up with the conclusion that the Oneida is a superior machine. I wanted a dust collector from a company who had the expertise and reputation to support it long term. Oneida's design will do a better job of seperating the fine dust and their true HEPA filters are better for ensuring the fine dust doesn't get broadcast back into your lungs. See the recent Fine Woodworking article on cyclones. I'm actually a big fan of Laguna and own their tools. Most of their products are terrific and despite contrary to comments on this site - I've had great support in the rare instance I needed it. But in the case of Dust Collection, Laguna doesn't design or build these machines - they brand them from companies like JDS. You won't be sad with an Oneida purchase.
    Last edited by Jeff Finn; 04-14-2012 at 1:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Is the Laguna built in the US employing domestic labor (maybe your neighbor)? Maybe, but I don't know. That was one factor that entered into the equation for me choosing the yellow one.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-14-2012 at 1:11 PM.

I would pick the Oneida between these two due to all metal construction and less set-up/assembly time. If you are a one-man shop, transition from the inlet size to a 6" duct or whatever suits your system best (most likely 6" if you have typical home shop / hobbiest tools). Another one to consider is Grizzly, but they do not have HEPA filters and may use an Asian motor, but the price is less. Great customer service with Grizzly as well.
    Mike

I have the 2 1/2 HP Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. Nice machine. Had a problem with the magnetic starter at the beginning and had to screw with it to get it to work right, something got moved around. But since then I've had no issues. I got the remote start with the unit, I think it was $75, worth it. I got all my ducting from them too. Cost more than the collector. Took two days to get everything up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    I have an Oneida, can't compare the systems, but I can say the Oneida customer service is great.
    I kinda have the opposite opinion about their customer service. I've had quite a few issues, that have always been resolved, but not without being nickel and dimed to death to pay for things that had to be replaced because they were obviously defective.

Blog Entries
    I'm really happy with my 2 HP Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. Would suggest a 3 or 5 HP though, It doesn't cost too much more and you never know, you might want to expand your system in the future.

I've had really good luck with Oneida's service.

I'd buy their products again and recommend them to all.

PHM