Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers Fall Miter Box - depth stop

Millers Fall Miter Box - depth stop

I have a Millers Falls Miter Box and am trying to refurb the depth stop (the one that sets depth of cut and not the stop that set overall saw stop). While I am missing most of the parts for this function they look easy to make. My problem is the threads on the casting appear to be something like 12-28. Not totally sure since hard to fine samples to try.

I have been looking on McMaster-Carr but no luck. Any other good sources and can anyone confirm the thread size?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thx Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    Stanley used X-28 threading on a lot of things. I am not aware Millers Falls using odd threads. My only Millers Falls tools are egg beaters and a brace.k

Do you know anyone with a thread gauge? It is a handy tool to have when rehabilitating old tools.

If that is the threading, finding a replacement screw will be difficult. I have been able to find 12-28 taps, but they are no longer listed. I have not been able to find the dies. It is possible to use a 1/4 die if you have the kind that can be adjusted. It isn't the best solution, but some times it seems like the only one available to someone without a machine shop or a friendly machinist.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Victor Machinery has 12-28 taps, but I don't see any dies.
    Do you know if Millers Falls parts and Langdon part might be compatible? I have a Langdon you could steal the parts from if you think they would work.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

The knurled thumb screw for the depth stop (on the left) has 20 tpi.

Here's another image of the washer that fits between the column and the depth stop.

Jonathan - those look like the parts (the ones on the left) that I am missing. I figure I will fab the washer and depth stop if I can't find - I am looking to to find a couple of replacements for the knurled screw. I was guessing at the thread size and glad you confirmed size, I did find that a M6x1 is very close but probably not close enough.

Mark - if you have the parts shown and want to sell that would be great.

My miter box is: Millers Falls Langdon/ACME 74A size 2 1/2

Thx
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I have 3 junk miter boxes that are only good for parts, but have all the depth stop hardware except the thumb screws. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Blog Entries
    If the thread is 12-20, that is the same as a Stanley frog screw. Those are not too difficult to find. They may even be available from Stanley parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Langdon Acme Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Castillo View Post
    I have 3 junk miter boxes that are only good for parts, but have all the depth stop hardware except the thumb screws. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Christian,

I have a Millers Falls Langdon Acme No. 74. I bought it new in 1977. Still in great shape, but during an overseas move I lost the end brackets (part number 31347), the length gage (part number 14557), and the three end bracket screws (part number 16846). Any chance you have any of these parts on your "hangar queen" miter boxes?

Regards,
    Galen

Blog Entries
    The parts look the same as on the Millers Falls, Langdon Acme 74C I just restored, has all the parts. If pictures or anything will help...

Mike,

Congrats on your restoration of the 74C -- certainly a worthwhile project. No one makes a miter box like this anymore. Mine has some sentimental value... I made a good living with it in the late 1970's doing trim work on beach cottages (Outer Banks of North Carolina). I have my original "Owner's Manual" with the parts list and photos, I'm just looking for a source for the missing parts.

Regards,

Galen

Blog Entries
    Galen here is my baby:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1689105...ream/lightbox/

Sometimes we are worse than parents with real babies with the pictures ;-)

I found the Owners Manual in digital format on the web, so I have it on my computer, very handy. I don't see the answers to the OP's questions in the manual I have, which covers a range of Millers Falls /Langdon Mitre Boxes. I'm not sure how to pass this info. along. It is a 28 page PDF pamphlet with quite a few pictures?

I wonder if you came up with a good design for housing & extending the work holding for your miter box Galen? That project is #3 on my list of projects but it could move up in priority. It seems a little ludicrous to use a table saw as a tool stand for a hand mitre box. Maybe I have fallen even further down the hand tool slope than I thought.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-24-2012 at 9:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Galen here is my baby:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1689105...ream/lightbox/

Sometimes we are worse than parents with real babies with the pictures ;-)

I found the Owners Manual in digital format on the web, so I have it on my computer, very handy. I don't see the answers to the OP's questions in the manual I have, which covers a range of Millers Falls /Langdon Mitre Boxes. I'm not sure how to pass this info. along. It is a 28 page PDF pamphlet with quite a few pictures?

I wonder if you came up with a good design for housing & extending the work holding for your miter box Galen? That project is #3 on my list of projects but it could move up in priority. It seems a little ludicrous to use a table saw as a tool stand for a hand mitre box. Maybe I have fallen even further down the hand tool slope than I thought.
    Nice pictures of some nice work.

Here is the link I found for the Millers Falls/Langdon Mitre Boxes:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-borTo...donMBox-ne.pdf

jtk

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Thanks for running that PDF file down, I was looking on the Millers Falls site for it and not finding it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for running that PDF file down, I was looking on the Millers Falls site for it and not finding it.
    Thanks go to Dr. Google.

jtk

Mike,

Really NICE WORK!

I enjoyed reading about "Lee" Langdon, the original patent holder.

Quite a character! In addition to an inventive mind, it sounds like he liked to tear up the countryside from time-to-time...

R/

Galen