Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some slabs

Some slabs

I guess this is a kind of a gloat. Picked up some slabs from Craig's list this weekend:

These are 8/4 air-dried cherry, 8 1/2 feet long, widths of 16" to 24" each--book-matched, and from the same tree. Actually, my wife and I were talking about a table for the kitchen. She wanted a round, expandable table. I said: "What about a slab table instead". She went to Craig's list and found the slabs. I figure I'll make two tables, one for us. One for sale.

Nice looking wood!
    Richard

Your wife hunts wood for you and encourages you to buy it... how sweet is that!?

But if the narrowest is 16"... doesn't that limit you to a table width of about 30" max?
    My table is quite a bit wider than that
    "It's Not About You."

No, that's not kind of gloat. It IS a gloat. Nice wood indeed. Do you have pictures of the tables yet?

Art,

Yep. I think I'll keep her

I plan on transforming them into a slab table, so I'll keep a live edge on the boards--cracks and all. The boards on the right side of the picture are a little over 18" wide at the narrowest. And the boards already have one relatively straight edge. So that will hopefully give me a bit less than 36" of width on the table on the narrow end, and almost 48" on the other. Due to the size of the room and cabinets in the way, I'll probably go for a bit over six feet in length on the table. So the width will probably work out, even if it's less than ideal. Another option would be to slip some contrasting wood like a birdseye curly maple between them--it would match the kitchen, which has maple cabinets combined with cherry cabinets. But if I do that--at least on the wider boards--the width will be a bit too much at the wide end. So I'm thinking I'll just live with a bit less than ideal width on the table. Any other ideas anybody?

Not sure what I'll do with the narrower set of boards yet. Maybe the contrasting wood thing. Maybe a bench or two. Maybe a couple coffee tables. Maybe something else.

Is the gloat about the wood or your wife?

Sweet score. Should be alot of fun. All you need to do now is get those planes nice and sharp and let 'em eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mackay View Post
    I plan on transforming them into a slab table, so I'll keep a live edge on the boards--cracks and all.
    Not sure what I'll do with the narrower set of boards yet. Maybe the contrasting wood thing. Maybe a bench or two. Maybe a couple coffee tables. Maybe something else.
    ahhh, I never would have considered a live edge for a dining/kitchen table.
    (And I'm not a fan of live-edge stuff, so I just never think about it.)

I have always thought than an asymmetric coffee table, or in your case one that follows the shape of the slab, would be an interesting project. It would take some thought to work out what sort of understructure would work with it.
    "It's Not About You."

Have you thought about a contrasting (or not contrasting) triangle-shaped wedge in the middle? It doesn't have to be rectangular.

Those slabs are not healthy. They are dangerous in your area. Please send them to me, freight collect, so that I may properly dispose of them (make some slab tables).
    Congrats on the great find, and for having a wife that encourages this sort of behavior.

Leaving a space between the two slabs makes a nice table also. I've done that on a coffee table. You could also put a few butterflies in contrasting wood that holds the two together. The only thing you didn't say in your gloat is what you paid for them. That, for me, will determine if you really do suck! Oh, and by the way, what did she use as search criteria?
    Last edited by David Helm; 03-08-2012 at 4:28 PM. Reason: Added a question

12. I think I saw that listing. Brookfield? Nice work Jeff's wife! Huge fan of live edge tables, looking forward to the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Leaving a space between the two slabs makes a nice table also. I've done that on a coffee table. You could also put a few butterflies in contrasting wood that holds the two together. The only thing you didn't say in your gloat is what you paid for them. That, for me, will determine if you really do suck! Oh, and by the way, what did she use as search criteria?
    That is what I was thinking very nice slabs but how much did you have to plunk down for those very large hunks of wood? The ones I have looked at online are always over $1,000 that size and bigger. Very nice score indeed and definitely post up some pics of the finished tables.

Hmmm. In terms of price paid, local mills are in the neighborhood of about $5 to $6 a board foot for cherry retail, plus a 10% to 20% premium for wide stuff greater than 10 inches wide. I paid less than retail--certainly less than $1000 (for all four) Of course a set of four book-matched slabs would probably have run an additional premium so I'm happy with the deal. Personally, I think most of the prices I've seen online for big slabs are ridiculous. But I'm cheap.

Prashun, that's a good idea. I'll definitely have to see what it looks like to have the slabs at angle to each other with a triangular filler between.

Jeff