Thread: How do you mix small quantities of dye?

How do you mix small quantities of dye?

I am trying to do a color test with transtint dyes and don't want to mix up quart quantities. What measuring equipment can I use to mix up 1/2 pint or less quantities? Also where can I acquire the measuring tools?
    Thanks!

I use syringes from the drugstore. It works pretty well, it's graduated down to 0.1 ml which is somewhere around 1/50th of a tsp.

I use a graduated cylinder to measure the water or alcohol, and just count the drops of dye from the bottles. I typically make up a half ounce mix (roughly 15 ml), which is plenty for my color testing.

Just count drops. It's not totally scientific, but it is accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Just count drops. It's not totally scientific, but it is accurate enough.

Agree, I use an eye dropper – well several.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Transtint comes in dropper lid bottles already. I snip the ends off with scissors, but if you want a more uniform dispensing you can pierce the tip with a fat pin instead.

I take a different approach that may work for you, depending on what your end goal is. I tend to mix up about a pint of dye at the full strength recommendation. I then cut small quantities of it down to the dilutions I'm interested in. I find it easier and more repeatable to deal in larger quantities of the raw dye, and this procedure allows me to make up a bunch of test dilutions and then quickly replicate the best one in large quantity even if my initial dye measurements were off a little bit.
    Last edited by Chad Bender; 03-08-2012 at 3:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I went to the dollar store and bought a set of measuring spoons and I also picked up a Pyrex measuring cup at flea market. I start with the smallest spoon and 1/4 or 1/2 cup alcohol. I make several small dye mixtures this way progressing from light to dark. I have a sample board that has been through the same sanding cycle as the project boards. I tape sections off and put on the different colored dyes and then proceed through the finishing cycle - sealer, varnish, etc. to be able to present the options to LOML. I take careful notes on each color mixture and then I am able to increase the volume and arrive at the same color as the sample.