Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone put an iGaging readout on aJet/Performax drum sander?

Anyone put an iGaging readout on aJet/Performax drum sander?

I'd love to see pics!

Blog Entries
    So Apple is now making digital stuff for woodworkers?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wixey has 3 examples on Performax. Look down the pare for sanders http://www.wixey.com/planer/fit/index.html#jet
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Matt,

I put an iGaging DRO on my Jet 2244 last year. I originally put one on my JJP12 combo machine that replaced a Jet DRO that was too small to read. The display is much larger and easily moved anywhere I want it with its magnetic base. It works great. Hope the pics help.

IMGP3675.JPGIMGP3676.JPGIMGP3677.JPG
    Dick Mahany.

Van, I saw the Wixey pics but I'm going with an iGaging unit if I do it--I've experienced problems with the reading jumping 0.2" with every Wixey readout I've owned.

Dick--perfect--I should be able to do something similar with mine. Your sander is really just a bigger version of what I bought.

Not to rain on the parade, but doesn't that thing take it's measurement at one location only? If you have any taper across the width you won't know it unless you are checking the part with a set of verniers and, if you are doing that (like I do) why do you need the gage on the machine to start with? And when you change paper you probably have to go through the process of rezeroing the gage, right? It just seems like a poor cost/benefit ratio to me, but maybe it's just me.

John

I think you raise some good points, John.

I guess much depends on whether you're flattening/finish sanding, or "thicknessing" (to any degree) with your drum sander.

I thickness with the planer, and either flatten or start the finish sanding process with my 16-32. Love my DRO on my planer, but haven't thought to add one to my Performax.
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

I wouldn't care about .001 accuracy. Just something a little more readable than the crude pointer they put on there--which is subject to some serious parallax error. Also, being able to do an incremental measurement might be nice.

Sorry Matt, I understood you were using the Igaging, just thought some of the pictures might give you some ideas, since overall they are similar.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I wouldn't care about .001 accuracy. Just something a little more readable than the crude pointer they put on there--which is subject to some serious parallax error. Also, being able to do an incremental measurement might be nice.
    Matt, maybe you won't/don't care about 0.001", but I bet you will care when it's something like 0.005". If you have to go back and make a few more parts during a project, then a difference of even 0.005" is easily felt and seen when you put the new parts against the ones made earlier. It's also important when you want to build up a composite, like shop sawn veneer glued to a substrate, to match something like a table leaf. The DRO might get you close, might even get you dead-on, if the machine is set up carefully and calibrated. I regularly sand stuff much wider than my 18" drum, so that means I have to open up the outboard end a few thousandths. When I do that the DRO would have to be recalibrated, then when I close the gap back down again afterwards it would have to be recalibrated again. Since I use a set of verniers while I'm sanding anyway, the DRO would be more pain than pleasure for me. But only you know how you want to use the machine and for what purposes.

John

With all due respect for the ways we each use our tools, I don't use my DRO for .001" attempts at accuracy like I do on my planer. I DO use it to quickly approach a target starting point and also to monitor subsequent incremental adjustments. The DRO is so much quicker than the scale and as Matt points out, eliminates parallax errors. It also helps me avoid trying to take too large of an initial bite and to avoid the resulting paper burning. The iGaging DRO is realtively inexpensive at under $30. Since I have it set to the thickest, coarsest sand paper grit, I don't bother recalibrating the gauge for finer papers since the error only results in parts that are thicker than nominal and therefore can quickly be reduced with additional adjustments. May seem not worthwhile to some, but I'll never remove mine

Edit: In the interest of full dsclosure, I will admit that I actually used a dial indicator to tweak the "open end" of the sander to be a little on the plus side for reasons John points out. Not to get into a full discussion of Abbe offset errors / axial offset errors and the like, ( I'm working with WOOD, not metal ! ) it still works for me for my purposes although YMMV

Best regards
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 03-08-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I bought the Supermax 19-38 sander. One of the reasons I bought this sander was that it came with a free DRO. My thinking for the DRO was to use it to take off more precise amounts when sanding. My approach is to reach the final thickness I want and zero the gage. I would then sand to the zero setting. I would use verniers to check the first couple for repeatability. I didn't intend to use to sand to a thickness on the readout. All of this is theroy at this point as I haven't sanded my first piece and may change. I think Dick summed it up by saying we all use our tools to suit our needs. I look at how other people use things and sometimes it is better and sometimes not IMO. I will say the DRO Supermax is well attached. They use a 1/4 bracket to fix the gage to the sander.
    dro.jpgdro2.jpg

I'll review the sander in another thread.

William, can you snap a pic of the bottom mounting?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    William, can you snap a pic of the bottom mounting?
    I put a Wixey on my old 25x2 and it worked OK. Some Wixeys are very reliable, others less so. Performax has used Prosale units for years and they are very accurate and reliable. I have that on my 37x2. It is much easier to zero them than the Wixey type. The key is to set the final drum parallel and reference the dial to it. Then leave it alone and don't adjust for different grits. I use 60 or 80 on the first and 120 on the second and don't change the drum relationship. Pretty accurate if you do that. Dave

The iGaging unit for $30 caught my attention. It may be just as cost effective to buy an iGaging unit as it will be to rig up the wixey. Does anyone have the instruction and installation manual for one, or a link to them? I'd like to know how it zeroes and what they suggest for installation before I slap my money down for one. I really like how the Wixey unit zeroes, but I'm always open to (cost effective) options.