Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My split-top finished

Now that's a super bench ! I haven't seen a "You suck!" yet, so consider it issued...hoot!

I was wondering about the single row of bench dog holes. Also, in the picture the Record's center dog has been removed. And... there's no hole on the right side of the clamping block.
    So I was wondering :

What happened to the center dog?
    And are you going to bore a dog hole on the right side and make a slide-able clamping block to allow wider panels a four corner clamp? Maybe the single dog holes are enough clamping pressure but I've found that when first doing a cross grain scrub process on roughing stock in, the four corner clamping approach is the strongest.

Your Thoughts ?

That is a well made, well thought out, and prem-o bench ! What a pleasure it must be to work on. Well done.

I am pleasantly surprised to see this thread come back from the dead. Thanks for the positive comments. It has been a real pleasure to work on. It does not move. My worries about the top not being thick enough were for nothing. I like the DF top enough that I just made a benchtop for an old Sears tube lathe using DF 4x4 again.

I have been very pleased with the center pullouts. They are very handy as a side planing stop when combined with a cross batten anchored in the dog holes.

I haven't added any holdfast holes but need to. Still working on where to place them. I like having the holes close to the front edge. Another good recommendation from Chris Schwarz. Terry, I took the dog out of the vice thinking I wasn't going to be using it. I haven't used it but it is back in just to keep the shavings out. The inner chop on the Record vice has loosened. I have tightened it once but it needs to be done again. The vice has to be off the bench for the screws to be tightened. It's not that much of a job, just one that is easy to put off. Moving the pin on the leg vice is not an issue at all. If I get so decrepit to do that I won't being doing anything but watching the vultures get closer and closer....

Anyone considering making a bench should go for it. It is a great learning experience and results in one of the most important tools in the shop.
    Paul

Great job, Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy your bench for many years to come.

Cheers,

Mike