Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Lathe Stand Features

Question Your Lathe Stand Features

Lathe is lurking around the corner, waiting for an income tax return (Delta 46-460 with bed extension). I'll wait until it comes to build a stand… I am shooting for useful, not fancy.

What stand features should I include?
    Here is what I have seen so far that seems right - but I have no experience:

1) triangular frame or panel frame so that there will be no flex.

2) room for 100+ lbs of sand bags for weight and stability. On a low shelf or built into end panels. Is 200# better?

3) tool holes on the side. How many do you use?

4) wide base for stability - how wide?

5) a shelf 6" below the top.

6) elbow height for the spindle

7) foot clearance at the bottom and overhang only as close as the lathe bed itself where I stand, so I can get as close as needed.

Please feel free to show off your stand and tell me what I am getting right, wrong, or that I didn't think of. Thanks in advance
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

As long as you never have to move it 200 lbs is better then 100 but 300 is better than 200. I personally built mine square so I could use it for storage that wouldn't collect shavings.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    As long as you never have to move it 200 lbs is better then 100 but 300 is better than 200. I personally built mine square so I could use it for storage that wouldn't collect shavings.
    Joe, is it straight down in the front? Do you ever have to have a foot or a knee under the lathe?

I was thinking about a built in box or two, with removable top, where I could put whole sand bags in and remove them in case I need more than a scoot around the floor. I could build it any size to hold as much sand as I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Joe, is it straight down in the front? Do you ever have to have a foot or a knee under the lathe?

I was thinking about a built in box or two, with removable top, where I could put whole sand bags in and remove them in case I need more than a scoot around the floor. I could build it any size to hold as much sand as I need.

First I should say that I am very inexperienced with using a wood lathe for wood turning, but mine is built with the head stock of the lathe at the very left hand side of the bench so if I ever decide to do outboard turning I have lots of room. On the right side I have about a foot of extra table beyond the cabinet and the lathe. The cabinet is about 12 inches deep with the top being about 14 inches deep with all the overhang on the front to hopefully keep shavings out of the cabinet. The center of the lathe is in the center of the cabinet (front to back) to keep the weight as centered as possible (I think that I should have moved the lathe just a little closer to the front so I can get closer to it especially when working on the inside of something). I have the cabinet on 3 inch legs so I can get my toes underneath so I can get closer to the lathe. For weight I poured 4 bags of concrete in the bottom of the cabinet. So far though all I have used it for is turning metal so I don't really know how it will work for wood working.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Thank you. These threads are full of treasure-info.

Brian, I am happy with the stand I built for my 46-460. I incorprates the 7 points from your post. One item I added at the advise of a creeker was a hole under the motor to provide better cooling. It has a second advantage. I keep a flat box on the shelf under the hole and use it as a handy place to push chips that build up on the lathe bed or the bench top.

Blog Entries
    I may sugest a tray in the bottom that you can add sand bags to with a lid over that. This way you can store blanks over the top of the sand bags.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

how many lbs of sand per bag, what will you do when the sand bag burst open ? you can buy sand in a tube that hold up better

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    how many lbs of sand per bag, what will you do when the sand bag burst open ? you can buy sand in a tube that hold up better
    Interesting. Where do you get sand in a tube?

Brian,

Here is my replacement for the Nova factory stand. My objective was to replace the original with a more solid stand that took up as little space as reasonable because I have a small shop space. The sides are hollow and filled with concrete instead of sand (because I had some concrete I needed to get rid of). I built it to accomodate my height (6-4). It is heavy and stable. Top is 18" deep. Sides are 15". Feet are 22". The feet protrude about 5.5" to the front and 1.5" to the back for stability. I took care to level the stand with the pads under each of the four corners of the feet. The lathe bed sits back about 1" from the front of the table. The two sides are connected with 2x material. I used blocking to raise the lathe bed about 4" from the table so shavings would fall through and for a place to set tools. Space underneath makes it easy to sweep/vacuum. Drawers speak for themselves -- can never have too much storage. Regarding your #7, I had a similar thought. In reality, I personally am never leaning right up against the lathe. The only exception is when doing hollowing from the end of the stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks practical and very beautiful, Larry.

Brian
    Remember to put some weight in the bottom but also you want some weight in the top.Bottom weight is great to keep the machine from wobble and moving top weight will help more with vibration. Equal it out and you should have a very stable machine.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Interesting. Where do you get sand in a tube?
    sand in a tube are use by the driver during the snow months, the extra weight will give your car more traction, if you can not find the tubes in your state maybe you can find innertubes and cut it, tie one end and fill up with sand, I not sure about flood control sand bags, they might be tubes bags

I probably have a different perspective than most, but I like my lathe stand to have as few bells and whistles as possible. The reason, woodturning is an incredibly messy process. I like the shavings to just fall to the floor where I can sweep them up. I don't want them finding their way into drawers, shelves, tool racks, or anything else. Just the floor. I prefer a bench or cart nearby that holds all the goodies and tools I need but that is out of the line of fire from the shavings. I can still reach the things I need but I don't have to clean the whole shebang up every time I make a mess.