Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which plane next?

Which plane next?

I have a 60 1/2 block plane (stanley) and two 14" jack planes (a sargent and a craftsman) inherited from grandfathers and rehabbed to working well. Wondering what would be a good next plane to fill out the stable. I think I probably need something in the middle, but not sure what. Just starting with handwork, but I'd say I'm a serious hobbyist. Any recommendations?
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

I would recommend you setting up one of those jack planes as a smoother. Just put less curve on the cutting edge, tighten up the mouth, make sure the sole is dead flat and bob's your uncle.

To add to your set, I'd recommend a jointer. Either a 7 or 8. The normal sequence of squaring stock is use the jack, then the jointer, then finish with the smoother. End grain can be shot with the jointer or your block plane.

I have a Record 07 with a Clifton HSS blade and it's cost is less than $150 total. Super flat and shoots well. Having a jointer will give you the basics as you slide down the slope.

Enjoy the process !

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    I would recommend you setting up one of those jack planes as a smoother. Just put less curve on the cutting edge, tighten up the mouth, make sure the sole is dead flat and bob's your uncle.

To add to your set, I'd recommend a jointer. Either a 7 or 8. The normal sequence of squaring stock is use the jack, then the jointer, then finish with the smoother. End grain can be shot with the jointer or your block plane.
    +1... Very good advice!!

I guess it depends on what kind of work you want to do with your planes. Do you want to dimension rough stock or will you use a planer? Do you want to joint edges for glue up or will you use a power jointer? How about grooves and rabbets? Do you want to do those by hand or with a router? With 2 jacks you can do a lot - grind one to have a cambered iron and the other to be straight. Then you can use the cambered one for rough lumber and the the straight one for jointing and smoothing. So maybe focus on getting those rehabbed and put them to use until you find a need for another one. Otherwise, the list that I would consider are: jointer, plow, rabbet, and smoother.

I think go with a smoother next. Either using one of your current jacks as such, or buying a dedicated No. 4. Then you don't need to sand anymore!

Though, the point of non bench plane options is interesting if you want to make joinery by hand. I find myself (as a hybrid type) in a similar situation. I own a Woodriver No. 5, a Bailey No. 4, a LN 40 1/2 and a Stanley (new) 60 1/2. I think my next will be a shoulder plane. I would probably go for a jointer next but it will likely just be a need based buy. I currently cut dadoes and grooves on a table saw or sometimes with a router and probably will continue to do so but a shoulder and router plane to refine them will be nice.
    Last edited by Bobby O'Neal; 03-09-2012 at 8:35 AM.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with a jointer, but that's because of how I work. If the jobs for a jointer plane are something you cover with power tools, then a smoother is probably a better choice. But I can make do with a jack as a smoother easier than I can make do with a jack as a jointer, but that's just how I work and the wood I start with. With the wood and way I work, I'd rather spend good money on a nice jointer plane, and then grab a cheap used stanley #4 or #3 for a smoother, clean it up and slap a Lee Valley blade in it - I'd rather go cheap on a smoother than go cheap on a jointer.

+1 on a jointer!

For a next bench plane, jointer advice is good.
    If you are considering a joinery plane, a large router plane is very versatile.

I have FIVE planes right now, and looking for others. I have a #110 block plane, a #33 , a #3, and a #4 smooth plane group, and a BIG old Stanley #8c, type 9, for the rough work.

Well, hadn't thought about setting up the two jacks differently, but it sure makes sense! One has a fair amount of backlash in the adjuster, I'm thinking I could camber a blade and put it in that one for rougher cuts--I have a Hock iron and chipbreaker that would probably work better in the other one, which has a lot tighter adjustments. How flat is flat enough for the sole of the plane? I've done a lot of work on one--it's dead flat except for maybe a half inch at the tip on one side of the toe where there's some pitting, and maybe a half-inch circle in the middle at the end of the heel. I think that is probably good, or should I keep working at it? The other I haven't really done anything on the sole yet, but appearance wise it doesn't look bad--there are a couple of good scratches but otherwise ok. I'm pretty sure neither of them ever had any work done on them, both granddads were construction workers, not finish carpenters, so I imagine it was pretty rough work. Mostly I'm fixing these up to have around/use and remember them by. One question I do have is how much camber is a good place to start? I'm thinking I should use one of the original irons for that, and use the Hock for the smoother.

Right now my wood joinery/flattening is 'power assisted', and will probably stay that way for a while--I don't have a bench. I did build a moxon vise to use on the end of a table saw. I've just started doing hand cut dovetails. I guess I was thinking of planes mostly for cleaning edges up and leveling proud dovetail ends. I suppose I should try flattening a board or two just to see how tough I find it. I know I'd like to build a bench at some point, at least a small one. I don't really have room for some of the beauties I've seen here!
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Dale,

From what you have posted, my suggestion for your next plane to acquire would be a smoother in #3, #4 or #4-1/2 size.

Which one would depend on your own needs and preferences.

For smaller work I like the #3. For bigger panels the #4-1/2 is used. Currently there are 3 #4s in my shop. One is set with a real tight mouth for taking just a few cuts on tricky spots. Another one is set up for a rougher cut in places were there may be a bump in the middle of a piece being joined or rough finished. The third is a junker/Frankenplane that can be used for any of the above or cleaning up unknown pieces that may have a nail or rock embedded in the surface.

Jointers are great planes to have. If you are using powered equipment for jointing and initial surface preparation a plane for that purpose could be redundant.

Lately I have been working with a lot of ash. After sharpening the blades on my jointers I am a bit amused that The pieces don't need to be smoothed after being hit with the jointer.

What it all comes down to is that each person needs to find for themselves what will best fill the needs in their shop.

For what I have been doing of late, even with all the planes in my shop, another #4-1/2 and #5-1/2 are at the top of my want list.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you need to refine your grooves and, especially, dadoes, take a look at a pair of side rabbet planes from LN or LV, or the vintage double-ended side rabbet from Stanley. They will help you in widening your groove a hair at a time until it fits perfectly.

A router plane will clean up the bottom, and, for that purpose, is much more versatile than a shoulder plane.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

I'm also a power-assisted jointing/flattening kind of guy most of the time, so my planes are concentrated at the smooth end of the scale.

For flattening dovetails I prefer a low angle block plane.

Given your descrip of how you work, I vote for a #4 or a #3. If you are up for purchasing a new plane, you might consider the low angle offerings from Veritas or LN. For some, these type planes excel at smoothing figure and end grain.

That's what I was thinking. Even though I do everything by hand, I don't know how much I really need long planes. I have two, a 24" and a 20" and I use them because they should be used...but I've made flat without them plenty of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Haumann View Post
    For a next bench plane, jointer advice is good.
    If you are considering a joinery plane, a large router plane is very versatile.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Quote Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
    If you need to refine your grooves and, especially, dadoes, take a look at a pair of side rabbet planes from LN or LV, or the vintage double-ended side rabbet from Stanley. They will help you in widening your groove a hair at a time until it fits perfectly.

A router plane will clean up the bottom, and, for that purpose, is much more versatile than a shoulder plane.
    I really wanted to buy a shoulder plane, but the more work I do, the better I am with a chisel and really question whether I'd need a shoulder plane that much. I guess it would make some things quicker.

The router plane, I agree with, is super convenient at times, and while that's a job I used to do with a chisel, the router plane makes the process a little less fidgety. That said, I strive to fit all those types of joints off the saw without trimming.

The side rabbet planes, I wonder about - are folks really refining grooves that much? I hear these recommended so much, and I've always taken the approach to trim whatever is going in the groove; I've always found that a pretty simple process, even the times where it involves grabbing a rabbet or filletster plane.