Thread: HVLP Wainscoting Satin Impervo

Question HVLP Wainscoting Satin Impervo

Hello all,
    Planning on spraying a section of Wainscoting a satin white. Was looking into the Satin Impervo Water based by BM. However, I have a cheap Rockler HVLP spray gun. Is this possible? I don't think this paint is latex even though it is water based. I am concerned about atomizing. I would go oil based, but I don't want to take a chance with yellowing at all.

See what I got so far! I will use Zinsser Shellac Based White to prime. The project is made of MDF and poplar. I treated the routed edges of the MDF. I really enjoyed using the shellac primer. I did the MDF with a spray can, but plan on using that also in the HVLP gun. I am assuming that would spray nice since it is shellac based.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cannot answer your question with authority, but it is my understanding that you can spray just about anything that will pass the viscosity test for your equipment. Use your viscosity cup and test the time for the Impervo.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    I cannot answer your question with authority, but it is my understanding that you can spray just about anything that will pass the viscosity test for your equipment. Use your viscosity cup and test the time for the Impervo.
    This is completely true, the real issue he may hit is that it's not possible to thin it enough and still have it properly form a film/etc.
    Most of these manuf's have a real recommended reducer for their paints that is not water (for example, SW recommends xim latex x-tender as a reducer, floetrol is another popular one).

If you thin with that instead of water, you should be able to do fine.

FWIW, i've always found it easier to use something like general finishes pigmented white poly for projects like these, because it sands a lot better.
    You don't have to worry about getting the spray absolutely perfect because you can sand the end result.

In my experience, the Impervo 100% acrylic is pretty thick and I didn't have a very good experience spraying it, even with the largest projector set I have for my gun. I ended up going back to a brush and got excellent results. You really cannot "thin" it very much...about 10% max. Nature of water borne finishes. For this kind of project, if I wanted to spray, I'd likely use Target EM6500 for white or get EM6x00 tinted to match the intended color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Fuji HVLP and have sprayed lots of Impervo on trim like you are doing. I thin each quart with 3oz water and 3oz Flotrol (somebody else recommended this). I have got very nice results with the "standard" (#4 I think) tip that came with my sprayer. I would get a quart and try it on some cardboard or paper and see how it sprays with your sprayer. I have little experience with finishing, but I like the Impervo and have got very nice results.

Mike