Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a 14 inch bandsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    The recent social trend towards "needing" too much of everything seems to have reached the bandsaw market. You don't need a 20" saw to cut wood. That said, I bough it...
    ROFL. This, right here, is the true spirit of woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I agree with Prashun (as always). In that price range I would buy this one:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2...Series-/G0513P
    for $994 including shipping and have enough left over for the plug of your choosing and several blades from Timberwolf.
    I believe that's the same one Harbor Freight sold. Just a different color.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

as the owner of an 18" jet BS, i'd suggest the rikon 10-325, or the 10-345. both are on sale this month @ woodcraft (at least, based on woodcraft's confusing flyer, i think they are). each will outperform comparable jet/powermatic models, and cost less, providing a better value. when i need a really good bandsaw, i'll sell the jet and move to a rikon. good product and what appear to be really favorable CS comments on several forums.

Given a choice between the Rikon and the Grizzly models, I would probably lean towards the Grizzly. The fit and finish on the Rikons are a bit better, but my experience is that the Grizzlys are better where it counts....for example, the guide systems on the Grizzlys seem to be much better than the comparable Rikon models.

As others have said, if you're going to buy an Asian saw, don't buy a Jet, Powermatic or Delta. It's just very poor value for the money. Definitely don't buy the Laguna. Stick to Rikon and Grizzly. If you're going to spend more than, say, $1200 for a saw, go straight to a high end saw like an MM16 and either buy it used or maybe even new.

I've owned Grizzly and used a Delta. By far the Rikon. It's easy to set up and maintain. I do 1/16" veneerd in 8" wide, 2"thick, 4' long birdseye maple with no problem. No matter what I tried, I could not do it with the Grizzly. Also, with the Rikon I now use it instead of my tanle saw for many cuts.

Which Grizzly vs which Rikon? You're not comparing a smaller, cast iron Grizz to a steel Rikon, are you? I don't want to put you on the spot. I just want to be sure we're comparing apples to apples.

It seems the consensus of the thread is not to get a 14" cast saw for the OPs needs.

Within the budget that leaves used and 4 (from the major players) saws that fit the bill.

There are two steel spined saws the Rikon 10-325 which is 799 at WC right now and the Grizzly G0457 at $950, of the two I think the Rikon is the much better buy.

Then in the 17/18" arena you have the Rikon 10-345 18" saw and the 513 series Grizzly 17" saws. The Rikon is on sale for 1099 at WC and the Grizzly 513P is 895 between the two I think the Rikon is the much better saw. The G0513x2 matches much better with the Rikon at 1095. Given the choice I would take the Rikon at the same price due to the bigger motor and slightly larger capacity though the Grizzly has an advantage in guides and fence. Picking the 18" Rikon requires 240V if one only has 120V then my choice would be the G0513X2 or if space is a premium the Rikon 10-325 is an excellent deal while it is on sale.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.