Thread: anyone ever used a smart start air filter for compressors?

Blog Entries

anyone ever used a smart start air filter for compressors?

im curious if anyone has ever used a Smart Start air compressor filter?
    if so, how do you like it?

i seen it in an old issue of Wood magazine and did a search to the above link. it seems like a great idea, it automatically
    allows the compressor motor to reach full speed prior to running under loaded conditions.

Benefits:
    • The Smart Start reduces amperage draw during start up and eliminates tripped circuit breakers.
    • It compensates for starting voltage drops and allows the use of multiple tools on the same circuit.
    • Cold weather and extension cords won't stop your compressor from starting. The Smart Start offers worry free operation.
    • No need for inefficient start unloaders that blow system air to atmosphere and increase pump up time.
    • Integral inlet filter provides a barrier between work site contamination and your compressor.

How does it work? I checked out the web site and it gave no clues as to what it does to help starting.

CPeter

Not sure how that particular model works, but I've worked with some large industrial compressors (350 scfm and up) that use a valve at the inlet to choke off any air from getting into the compressor at startup. It's much easier to spin the compressor up while it contains vacuum than it is to try and start up with a full flow of air resisting compression. Once the motor is running and the starting inrush of current is passed, then the valve opens up and allows the process to start.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]