Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Parts

Box Parts

I was rumaging through my turning parts boxes ( believe me, I have a number of them) trying to find a piece that I could use on a turning I am working on. I found it and proceeded. It did get me thinking though about constructing a piece strictly from parts that had been part of a turning long past. I picked a hollow turning of maple in the shape of a teardrop. I also had four pieces of box elder that had been a ?????????? and I have no idea what I was working on at the time. I used three of the box elder pieces (see picture) and formed legs. The hollow form still had the rough area including the tenon. I turned the tenon down and turned a slot for the legs to fit into. I turned a finial. The HL was already air gun dyed and finish applied before I epoxied the legs. I filled the exposed slot with Professional Wood Filler and painted the top/finial black. This was fun little project. Some will really like it and some will look at it as if someone cut a big one. .DSCN0517 (480 x 600).jpgDSCN0524 (481 x 600).jpg
    I turn, therefore I am

Dick, I do like it and it needs its own thread. It some abstract way it evokes a sort of bug on legs image but its much more about the overall form which is excellent. Nice use of "parts".

Dick, on second glance you did give it its own thread (dum me) it just needs a more suitable aristic name than Box Parts.

Dick, I like it!! Looks as though all the extraneous parts came together quite well, it flows, the colors are good, and proportions of the bottom elements are excellent. The finial is a bit tall for my tastes by about 20%. Great job of recycling!

I'm in the group that likes it. I think it's great! Who can criticize anything with such wonderful curves and "legs that go all the way up!"
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Beauty Dick. I like it. Just cool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Love the effect the "legs" bring to the piece Dick. The dye job sure fits well too. Guess that means I'm in the like it camp. A slimmer finial would put it in the blue ribbon catagory!

Very nice design. I like the cut away "legs" supporting that very nice pointy form. Not overly fond of the finial though, my gut says a short teardrop topper might suit it a little better. But that is just different taste. Hats off for stepping out of the box (of parts) and creating a cool piece.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That is a really cool effect and not something you see everyday! Kind of an exoskeleton and it has a lot of possibilities! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Dick put me down as one that likes this. Like others have said i think a thinner ,or different finial.

Dick Hello from Albuquerque NM. The piece looks great. I like what you did with the legs. I might agree with Scott H that the finial for me is not right. I sure would like to see this at the next club meeting. I won't be back but I am sure the piece will be there. See ya soon

Dick
    You did it again, Beautiful just beautiful. Love the lines and the feel it has even though I can't actually feel it. Hope this makes sense.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Very cool Dick! I really like how you did the legs and the dye job looks great, but I do agree that "box of parts" is not a fitting name for such a nice piece.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Dick! the legs are WONDERFUL, DELIGHTFUL, MAGNIFICENT!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Dick you done good! Very clever design, it all comes together nicely. To me the finial could use some tweaking...or reduced to just the bulb.