Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unintended Reward of Hand Sawing

I don't remember seeing any of Roubo's drawings that featured pleasantly plump carpenters...

My company requires talking to a health coach once a quarter in order to get discounts on the premiums. This week I got the call and when asked what I've been doing for exercise I told her I've been doing a lot of hand planing. She didn't really know what to say, even after I explained it to her.

I can imagine the fine folks at Lee Valley having some fun with this idea for next year's April Fool's Tool. But somehow the image of a Bowflex tricked out with chisels, plane irons and saw blades sounds more terrifying than amusing...
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Imagine what you could do with a large, two man saw in the NW woods and a large redwood tree.

(Those loggers must have been some beasty boys.)
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Whitney View Post
    I see an opportunity for a TV show:"Woodworkers Weight Loss - With Jim Koepke"Please, no spandex.
    Oh come on, JK in the Full Fonda - complete with leg warmers and Norm Abram suspenders? Just the cover art work would sell the video...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Toebbe View Post
    I can imagine the fine folks at Lee Valley having some fun with this idea for next year's April Fool's Tool. But somehow the image of a Bowflex tricked out with chisels, plane irons and saw blades sounds more terrifying than amusing...
    Isn't that how a treadle lathe works? I might come up with my first YouTube script, yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Well, gosh, I can think of one thing; but I can't talk about it here.
    Why not? I love growing vegetables in the back yard, too!

Jim, what you've indicated here is one of the things I love about neander work. It's like a second benefit to all the sounds, smells, etc. that come with sawing or planing. I'm really happy that you've got quantitative results, I've only ever hoped for qualitative, but it inspires me to do more of this. Note in my earlier thread on the step stool for my son that I had the first chance to use my Disston D8 xcut saw - I *really* was upset when I was done, it was so nice to use the tool and a pleasant job to boot!

Best wishes on the improved health via woodworking. Let's see some journal articles!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

The Ladies are the ones who are always worrying about losing weight. Now just tell your other half that you are going to go full out on an exercise program for her! Your going to convert to a complete Neander Shop and she gets to power all the old tools with the exercise cycle converted to a Line Shaft operated shop. And that's how the ride in the ambulance came about and all the blood on the walls, floor and ceiling of the shop.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

What kind of saw do you use? I have often wondered if anybody ripped logs by hand.

bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    A weight loss was a guarantee - if you're ripping 10' boards by hand you only have about a 1/2 hour every other day to eat!

-Tom Stenzel
    Lol! Jim I'm happy for you, nothing feels better than being in good\better shape (Bill I know what your thinking... )

11. I certainly prefer working in my shop compared to the different sort of Neanderthal you usually come across in the gym. I have a treadle lathe, the only problem is my balance is only good on one foot, using the other foot I am a complete mess and would probably end up hurting myself. So I would have one gigantic leg and one skinny leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    One of my favorite bits of hand-wood-working. When I can't (or, I suppose, don't) bike in the winter, a lot of hand-surfacing and ripping helps keep me in in something resembling "in shape".
    Hey, even without much hand tool work or exercise, I'm in shape: "round" is a shape!