Thread: Grizzly G1018 jointer circuit size conflict

Grizzly G1018 jointer circuit size conflict

Just picked up a G1018 8" heavy duty jointer off craigslist for $400, not much of a gloat, but jointers are scarce in my area, especially 8"

Anyway...

The jointer came with the original manual which specs a 30A 220v circuit, see below

However, when I go on the Grizzly website and look up the manual for this machine, it specs a 10-amp, 220v breaker/circuit

I am inclined to believe the manual that came the machine. I also looked for a THQP double pole, 10A breaker and it doesnt seem to exist. But 30A vs 10A is a huge difference and could be dangerous if not sized properly. I've already sent a message to grizzly customer service, but I was hoping to get this installed today. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Justin DiValentino; 03-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Check out this manual from Grizzlys website.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1018_m.pdf

JEFF

I doubt it needs 30A 220V as that is what you used for a 4-5HP motor that you find on the bigger stuff. You probably have a 2-3HP motor which should be on a 20A 220V circuit (they don't make 10A circuits). Check the motor plate, my guess is that you have a 2HP motor that draws 10A at 220V.

First, there is often conflicts with the Grizzly spec sheets/manuals etc over circuit size, some of them are VERY conservative. They also have been know to change to more efficient motors over time. Check the motor plate I would bet it is under 15 amps and thus will run on any 240V circuit.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    I doubt it needs 30A 220V as that is what you used for a 4-5HP motor that you find on the bigger stuff. You probably have a 2-3HP motor which should be on a 20A 220V circuit (they don't make 10A circuits). Check the motor plate, my guess is that you have a 2HP motor that draws 10A at 220V.
    I thought that seemed high. Its a 1.5hp motor. I did find a GE THQP 2x15Abreaker on amazon.

Hi, this is a common issue with equipment, the machine may be rated for a maximum circuit ampacity, and that must be followed if specified by the manufacturer.

For example my Hammer B3 Winner has a maximum current of 16 amperes and must be used with a circuit not exceeding 20 amperes.

The equipment is designed and certified for this size of circuit protection, using a larger circuit could'

- void your warranty

- damage the machine if an electrical fault occurs

- become a fire hazard if a fault occurs.

Regards, Rod.

Is that the one with a 1-1/2hp motor? Check the motor plate for hp and amperage draw.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

When I had a G1018, I ran it on a 240v/20amp circuit.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You can use an HVAC type outside disconnect with 10A fuses between the circuit and the outlet if you feel like you need to go lower than 15A.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, this is a common issue with equipment, the machine may be rated for a maximum circuit ampacity, and that must be followed if specified by the manufacturer.

I don't think Grizzly rates for max ampacity, only minumum.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I don't think Grizzly rates for max ampacity, only minumum.
    Hi Van, in this instance the manual did state maximum ampacity, which makes me think it's made with IEC compliant components..........Rod.