Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointmaker Pro

Jointmaker Pro

I was wondering if anyone is using the Jointmaker Pro from Bridge City Tools to cut their joinery? I would be interested in your opinion fo this tool aside from it's price. Regards Randy

I'm very interested too.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I don't own one, but I got to see it first-hand at the recent tool event here in Portland. It's about as easy as shown on their video, and makes the cleanest saw cuts I've ever seen. Very fine kerf, and I don't remember any saw marks at all. The saw is a Japanese tooth. It looks like a great machine for small to medium-sized work pieces.

When this thing first came out it seemed like a lot of folks were jumping up and down to get one. I've never heard of anyone that actually bought one and posted about using it. I am interested i hearing more also.
    The Plane Anarchist

A couple blog entries I remembered:

The Economaki-Brese-Imai-Lie-Nielsen Melange
    http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/201...e-nielsen.html

Dovetailed Chest in Birdseye Maple
    http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/201...eye-maple.html

Anyone ever use one of these? I figure they have been around for a while now, maybe there is a used one around for Christmas......
    The Plane Anarchist

I am very surprised not more people have posted their experience with this tool around here. I would love to use one to try out before actually dropping that kind of $ on one. But if it is coming from Bridge City then it can't be a bad investment.

I looked at it when I first started woodworking but the cost was prohibitive. I wonder if it's so for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Anyone ever use one of these? I figure they have been around for a while now, maybe there is a used one around for Christmas......
    There is one for sale on craigslist in the San Francisco Bay Area (not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    There is one for sale on craigslist in the San Francisco Bay Area (not mine).
    Looks like the same one that is on eBay. But for that money I'd rather buy new from Bridge City. I'm not sure they are worth the money. I saw one at the Amman Colonies hand tool show last spring. Cool tool but pretty spendy. I wish somebody here had one and would tell us about it. Ok I really wish they would sell it cheap, but that ain't gonna be.
    The Plane Anarchist

I think that is awesome! I just watched the video. It's useful like a table saw and I know people who will drop twice as much on a sawstop table saw andim pretty sure this saw has flesh detecting technology too . That must be where the cost is coming from! Haha but it's a pretty neat tool if you ask me, but I know you can buy almost a full month of hand tool lessons for that which might be more worth the price if you ask me. That also is the same cost as 3 or four top notch hand planes, plenty of saws, etc. I actually think you could pretty much purchase almost every tool you'd need in a hand tool workshop at least to get started for that including the materials to build your bench. But still very awesome!

I've been thinking since it came out that I should dismount the blade on an old contractor table saw and mount a LV Japanese replacement blade upside down instead. With a little care, should be a reasonable alternative for very few dollars, maybe $100 or so if I get a real good blade.

I was considering one back at the beginning of the year, but bought a hobby-level CNC (a ShapeOko) instead --- kind of regret that, since the CNC's usage is constrained by the noise and dust it creates (need to make a dust shoe for a new router --- the one I made for the Dremel worked really well and a sound enclosure).

I've looked at using the linear rail from the CNC to make something like one, but the parts aren't that much cheaper, esp. now that they have the single wing --- there's a solid economic reason why there isn't a clone.

I went and put my name on the waiting list, if they have any leftover at the end of the production run they will work down the list maybe get to me. I won't know until March. Maybe by then I'll wise up. But for right now I'll just dream about straight smooth chip free cuts......zzzzz
    The Plane Anarchist

Bridge City tools as an investment: They may be,but I have NEVER seen a B.C. tool for sale tat was actually USED!! If you USE yours,it may not bring as much,I don't know. Seems like everyone buys them,keeps them for some years,then sells them in new condition.