Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copper Handled Vase

Copper Handled Vase

I have a piece in progress at the moment that has some copper embellishments, as well as a copper tone dye treatment. Ms. Keeton and I both liked the color, and while working with the finishing process of that piece (longer than hoped!), I wanted to do another turning as well as use the same color. My inspirations come in spurts, and I have several sketches for turnings, including this little vase form.

This is a piece of very dry silver maple, with some spalting, a little Ambrosia, and more than a couple powder post beetle tracks! A perfect wood for a piece with a little rustic flavor. Some of you may recall a pitcher I did a little over a year ago from a beautiful piece of box elder burl gifted me by Curt Fuller. It had a hammered copper handle, and I thought something similar might work on this piece.

A little under 7" tall and about 4" in diameter, with copper dye - equal parts of Transtint red, yellow and medium brown. This is my first piece using the General Woodturners Finish. As kind of a critique, I will offer the following.

As for viscosity, it is THIN! While this piece of wood would have been like a sponge for any finish, the first coat soaked in so quick you could nearly hear the sucking sound. It remained cool and damp feeling for about 20 minutes and raised the grain a bit. I added another coat that remained wet for about 10 minutes or so. I then buffed the piece by hand with 0000. Another couple of coats were applied - each drying within 5 minutes. I would add our humidity has been in the 20-30% range for the last couple of days and I expect that shortened the drying time significantly. After about 15-20 minutes from the 4th coat, I buffed again with 0000 and liked the look.

This morning, it showed some dull areas as if the finish had soaked in more. I added three more coats, each drying within 5 minutes. I like to level my finishes by sanding with 1200, and usually do that with MS. However, not being sure of the effect on this finish, I sanded dry. With WOP, shellac or lacquer, dry sanding usually results in loaded sandpaper pretty quickly. Pleasantly, all I got was dry powder coming off the finish.

A short session with the 1200 paper, buffed lightly with 0000 and machine buffed with Tripoli resulted in a very level finish with a satin sheen. I feel certain that a more aggressive buffing with Tripoli, followed by White Diamond and wax would produce a nice gloss. I wanted the satin sheen for this one, but I do intend on trying the high gloss finish on the next turning. All in all, I like the finish and look forward to using it on other works. Whether it becomes a favorite will depend on whether I can get a nice, watery gloss from it. Certainly for a satin look, it is a sweet finish!

As always, I cherish your comments - good or bad. The years have calloused me and I handle abuse pretty well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (106.7 KB, 206 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.6 KB, 183 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (106.6 KB, 239 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (104.0 KB, 179 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (105.0 KB, 194 views)

2. Super clean lines, John, and a very nice "S" curve which from what I can tell from the pics has no flat spots. I like the wood on this and your finish as well. I have gotten where I am liking the GF Woodturners finish a lot myself........I have used it on about 6 items so far and all with very good results............I have to thank Bernie W. for his putting me on to this stuff.

The copper handle is a real fit on this one, and another Keeton special that should give you some pride in your work. Keep the hits coming John..........we enjoy your adventure almost as much as you, I suspect!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice John but I see a major defect in it. It's going to LEAK, nice try though.

"The best things in life are not things."

Won't hold milk, but I like it. Very pretty wood and shape.
    C&C WELCOME

No need for abuse here, praise would be more in order. A little curvature in the width and cross section of the copper strap might be nice and slightly less extra length on the bottom end where it leaves the vessel.

Very nice John!! I like the way the red in the base glows around the base. Form is cool with no obvious boo boo's! No need to abuse you since you didn't do anything dumb! I do wish it was bigger...this seems to beg for 12-14" in height...but the finish is spot on!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I really think you've done an outstanding job on this, John. The dye color and the copper go perfectly together, IMO. The form of the pitcher has a very "smooth" feel to it as does the handle. Very well done, you ought to be proud of this one. Thanks for sharing this.

Absolutely innovative and beautiful piece. The only thing I would see changing, is to "age" the rivets holding the handle onto the vase (unless you are wanting them to sparkle!).

Great job, Mike

Consider yourself fully abused, and I'm a big fan of satin or semi gloss finishes. Well done there.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Great color and great lines. I like it even if it won't hold water.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I do wish it was bigger...this seems to beg for 12-14" in height...but the finish is spot on!
    Jim, I commented to Ms. Keeton that I might do a larger version, but the problem is in getting copper an appropriate size to form the handle. I think the order of events would be to find the copper, THEN scale the piece accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    Absolutely innovative and beautiful piece. The only thing I would see changing, is to "age" the rivets holding the handle onto the vase (unless you are wanting them to sparkle!).

Great job, Mike
    Mike, give them about 3-4 weeks. With no finish on them, it won't take long. The handle "ages" from the heating to anneal it several times while hammering it and bending it to shape.

John, nice vases but I was expecting a copper handle vise

I really like this John. Between the warm coloring in the wood and that very nice looking copper handle, you get a giant high five from me. Excellent work.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Very pretty! The copper works so well with that Maple. Nice form and the curves in the wood and handle match nicely. Great job!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Really pretty, John.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA