Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good recommendations for getting rid of moles

Good recommendations for getting rid of moles

Who has a good recommendation(s) to get rid of moles in their yards? I've used spring traps, poison pellets, battery powered sound devices, and insecticide to get rid of the grubs that moles feed on. I've had success with most except the battery powered sound devices which I returned to Earl May as they simply didn't work for me. Live spring traps are a slow hit and miss. I'd prefer to eliminate the population rather than scaring them off to the neighbors - that's why I kind of favor the poison pellets. Anyway, spring is coming and I want to take a healthy charge against them. Anybody have any favorite remedy?

Bob you could always do like the wife does-------she shots them. Yup if you watch you can see what time of day they move and wait----22 does the trick. Life in the country has it's moments.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

We are not allowed to discharge firearms withing the city limits. I have found that the elixer made from boiled mint poured down their holes annoys them so they move to another part of the yard or next door. My only sure method requires some time. When I discover a new mound in the morning, I stomp it flat, then get a folding chair and a sharp shovel and sit quiet as a mouse. Within 20 minutes or so I can often see the soil coming back up as the bugger is making repairs. I jab the shovel frantically several times and more often than not get him. Then just leave it in the tunnel as a warning to the others.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Rodenator.

Dermatolo...

...oh, wait. different kind of mole.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    We are not allowed to discharge firearms withing the city limits. I have found that the elixer made from boiled mint poured down their holes annoys them so they move to another part of the yard or next door. My only sure method requires some time. When I discover a new mound in the morning, I stomp it flat, then get a folding chair and a sharp shovel and sit quiet as a mouse. Within 20 minutes or so I can often see the soil coming back up as the bugger is making repairs. I jab the shovel frantically several times and more often than not get him. Then just leave it in the tunnel as a warning to the others.
    Sound like Joe came up with a stealth beer break
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Try a dog?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I use the spike type trap. It has always worked but it takes patience and time. Use your foot and crush the tunnel where the mole is active, then wait until it pushes the dirt up then crush the tunnel again but this time insert the trap. I had one mole and it dug up over 50 feet of my lawn. I tried a lot of the suggested tricks but none worked so I broke down and bought the trap.
    David B

I had some old 2-cycle mix I used on mine about a month ago. Three or four of the buggers were tearing up my back yard. I poured about an ounce down each of a few of the mounds. I think the stink drove 'em away.

I'be had reasonably good luck with a spreadable product called MoleMax. My problem is I usually don't apply it often enough so the moles come back. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just grub killer with a fancy name.

11. I had vole problems. I adopted two cats from the shelter. I no longer have vole problems.

A few years ago, I applied some milky spore to my yard, which was being criss-crossed by moles. The milky spore infects grubs (baby Japanese beetles), and spread when the grub dies. I didn't notice many Japanese beetles last year, and the moles are gone.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Build your own mole knockers, they won't kill them but two mole knockers will clear 2.5 acres.

Isn't that a wind spinner that makes noise????????????
    Heck I bet you even have a pic/plans??????????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Gary,

Yes, the mole knockers are yard windmills that you add two blocks of wood behind the blades so they knock on the horizontal wooden shaft when the blades turn. It transmits the sound down the vertical shaft into the ground and drives moles crazy.

I wish I had some plans to share but I don't. Fact is I don't even have a picture. My Dad put two of them in our yard decades ago and drove the moles away in just a couple of weeks. Periodically he would put one of the mole knockers back in the yard if he thought there was activity. Eventually both of them rotted away so all I have is a mental picture to go on.......and I need a couple of them myself as the moles have taken over the yard again. Maybe I can at least come up with a hand sketch to share in a day or so.

Anyone who makes these make sure you make plenty of extras because your neighbors will beat you over the head to purchase them. Sadly you will be driving your moles to their yard and they will need something to keep from being overrun