Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shades of Copper

Shades of Copper

First, let me apologize for the pics on this one! This turning has the most glass like finish I have achieved, and with my woefully simple and inadequate photo setup, I could not get rid of the reflections! The black is actually a very nice, airbrushed fade down on to the copper body. The big, black glob in the middle is me, the camera, and most of my shop "fish eyed" into that one spot! I tried several different exposures (evidenced by the varying backgrounds), tweaked everything I could, but no luck! I think I need to take this one over to Jamie Donaldson's for professional pics!

The body of the curly maple vase is dyed copper - same as the pitcher I just did. The detailed collar was first dyed black, then spray painted black, and finally, a coat of black tinted shellac was applied to get a deep black.

The textured accent ring was painted with metallic copper paint and black paint rubbed into the texturing. The copper bead in the finial is straight from Michael's, except that I applied black paint into the texture over the reddish brown that was there. The finial is holly, dyed black.

Dimensions are a tad under 6.75" to the rim, and just under 10" to the finial tip. Diameter is about 4.25" and the finish is comprised of multiple things - lacquer, shellac, and many, many coats of WOP. It will be buffed and waxed in a few days.

I owe an apology to David D!! On a similar form he recently posted, I commented his finial appeared a bit tall for my tastes. But, in working with the proportions on this piece it became evident the finial needed to be half the height of the form - the exact proportions used by David. You had it right, David!!

This is pretty "high fashion" even for my turning tastes, but it is one of those pieces I just needed to do and get it out of my system! As always, all comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (104.8 KB, 280 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (107.0 KB, 225 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (104.9 KB, 222 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (104.6 KB, 195 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (106.1 KB, 247 views)

Blog Entries
    John I don't know where to start just a stunning piece would love to be able to do work like that!!!

Mike say it best

Quite unique, for sure a deep deep shine. I suspect that it is much deeper in person. Did you hollow from the hole that the finial sits in? I do agree that the finial fits the piece. Still not sure how you do the color but it is striking.

WOW, that's all I can say. Your attention to detail and finishing is spectacular.
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 03-12-2012 at 9:58 PM.

WOW, John!!!!!! Drop Dead Gorgeous! The finish on this is, uh, can't find the proper word. IMHO, this is absolutely the crown jewel of all of the fine turnings you've posted here. Flawless all the way around. WOW. I'm gonna have to sleep on this one, I'm speechless!

John,

That is a pretty neat piece. I really like the coloration and your attention to detail.

Alan

Wow! That is simply one of the most impressive turnings I've ever seen. Just happened to look at the creek immediately after it was posted and have spent the last 20 minutes looking at it and re-reading the comment. Questions: 1) is the accent ring depressed into the form; 2) how is the copper bead fastened to the finial; and 3) what type of paint gun do you use?

Wow, John! That is truly a spectacular piece. If I was going to "pick a nit" (who can resist?) it would be that it might have benefited from a bit of a "tuck" at the base. But that is probably just coming from my own attempts to "hit the sweet spot" with a similar piece. The finish and coloring are awesome and the finial looks just right. 9.9 on this one from here....
    David DeCristoforo

Oh man I don't think I have seen one I liked better. Speechless!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Wonderful piece, John! The coloring and the detailing is very, very nice. The shoulder strikes me as a bit busy at times, but when I look at it again, I like the detailing… How's that for a wishy-washy evaluation?

Perfect...

That finish is just crystal...hard to beat it! The accent ring...is it turned/carved...bought/painted...just wondering. Gallery kinda work...again!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Wow! John just beautiful! Very well done!

Beautiful! This piece has so much going on but it's hard to find any faults with it....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?