Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shades of Copper

John all I can say is Wow and it is beautiful. Mary Ann sat and looked at this thing for over 20 minutes. She said I am just speechlees.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John from all your quality turnings you've posted here, for me this is your best piece. The only thing that's missing for me is a slight tuck in at the bottom. I know that's not your thing as I remember you saying that before,but for me I like the slight shadow & lift a little tuck offers.
    Really though Great work John

"Glitzy" is the first thing that came to mind though I am not sure that is the correct word! For me, the color fade and finial are my favorite parts. My thoughts were similar to DD about the base and DK about the shoulder. The finish is amazing though the loss of crispness in the shoulder details seems to be the tradeoff for that. Quite the spectacular piece John!

What I really like about this piece is the combination of so many detailed factors that come together beautifully. From the elegant form, to the beautiful finial details, to the coloring combinations and application of final finish and the interesting embellishments..........it is georgeous.
    Dick Mahany.

John---Just when I thought you had reached your pinochle ( ) with the handled vase, and now this! Love what you are doing with the copper and the dye.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dang John, that is about as pretty a piece as I have laid eyes on!

Wow really nice work John.

I wanna grow up like you.....
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

Thanks, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to look and comment. Joe is right about the bottom "tuck" - I just don't care for that feature even though I know it is apparently the thing to do nowadays.

There is a lot going on with this piece, and that is why I felt I could "get away" with the extra detailing on the shoulder/collar area. If it is going to be "Glitzy" (I like that word, Baxter!) then it might as well be gaudy!

Thanks, again!

a lot going on in this vessel. the "paint job" is spectacular. The height of the finial is right on, &drop dead perfect. the one thing, I do not personally like on this vessel is the copper ring. I loved it on a vessel you did previously. I think it might have been a shorter vessel?? But here, because there is so much going on, it is a tad too much to my eye. Now in person, it may be totally different. It is a spectacular vessel, and the craftmanship is easy to discern. You should be totally proud of this one. she's a beauty.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Another beautiful piece. Maybe in a few months I can actually find time to work on a turning project again. The color is spot on and the fade job is great. Finish is incredible, maybe the best "glass" finish that I can recall.

John, I have to use the palandromatic expression used by many who have replied so far.. WOW! The finish is fantastic.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

John I am not really qualified to comment on many turnings, But I just had to say I love your "High fashion" piece. I only wish I could come up with new designs like that.
    Thanks for showing us what "can" be.

Steve

Very nicely composed piece John. You've combined these elements in a very nice complimentary fashion, down to the similar piercing on the finial gem and collar.
    Your mind must never stop thinking...and we truly appreciate it. Wonderful inspirations here from something as simple as a hobby store bead, to the beautiful coloration of this piece!

I suspect, as you suggest, it really shines in person even more.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said other than to say, John, you are at the top of your game and an inspiration to us all.

It's a beauty John!

Love how you got the curl to pop! Nice work on the form and your top is a good example on how you can create steps up to the lid as long as the transitions are small and keeping within the curve. The use of copper as a contrasting color works well with the colors of the form. Just enough of a contrast as to draw attention to the copper without it taking over. I do think I prefer your embedded copper flakes as a look though, maybe because it is even a little more subdued.

Glad to see you got the black figured out! Looks like it was worth the effort! Your finial is.... well, it is your finial! Very elegant and fitting for the piece!

Very nice work John! I can't imagine this will sit in a gallery for very long!! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!