Thread: Ploughing Web Frame Dado

Ploughing Web Frame Dado

Surely I'm over-thinking this.

Previously, when I made a chest of drawers I would use web frames that were 3/4" thick. I would use a 3/4" pattern bit and a small block to plough the dados and then come back with a dovetail bit fit in a guide bush to create a sliding dovetail. I've decided to change the size of my web frames and have run into a road block.

I would like to use a 13/16" thick web frame. This means I can't use the pattern bit. I would like to run this in one pass so there aren't a lot of fussy setups. I use a circular router base plate and do not think that guiding one edge along a straight edge is accurate enough. Should I create a jig that traps the base plate on both sides and then plough the dado? Is there a simpler way? I would like the setup to be straight forward and repeatable without a lot of fussy measurements (wouldn't we all?).

Maybe I answered my own question? Anyone have any other suggestions to help me through this little thought experiment?

How does everyone else create sliding dovetails with a shoulder in their casework?

I made a jig that consisted of two boards, the spacing of which gave me the dado width I wanted, with my chosen straight bit (a spiral bit). I referenced off the base of the router - this can be a problem so you want to keep your measured sides to the boards and not spin the router around (by "measured sides" I mean the distance between the router bit and the side of the router base - check each side so you don't have to spin the router around to cut the sides).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As Mike says - also good idea to mark your feed orientation and stick to that - left is left and right is right. And make sure that you have a piece on the underside of your jig, on the outfeed end that is snugged up hard to your stock to keep your end cut from blowing out.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I'm with you on keeping your router orientation the same. I'm not too concerned about blow out. With the way I build, if the backside blows out a little nobody is going to notice because of the rabbeted back.

Maybe I need to look into guide bushes? Does anyone know about guide bushes with an ID larger than 13/16" ? I know they don't come in the regular set.