Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet Gum HF

Dennis, I love everything about this piece! Form and finish are awesome!

I like this piece alot Dennis. Form is great and that is some very nice spalting. I'm somewhat indifferent on this one being gloss over satin...but can see where satin would be a bit softer and pleasing. I'm starting to lean towards less glossy, in general, but it truly is personal preference. Great job! I've got loads of sweet gum in my yard, including some that are 20+ inches in diameter...but I've not turned it yet! If I get tired of stepping on the sweet gum balls..I may have some wood soon!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Love the form and the wood is amazing!! Mot much more you could ask for in a hollow form! VERY nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I like this, like it lots! Not able / capable of hollow turning yet, so this is a new one on me. Can I ask a question (sorry to interrupt the thread) - is the coloring from the spalting process, or is all sweet gum that funky green color? It's reminiscent of camoflage in my mind...

Primvs;
    The color is from the spalting; this wood was very bland when cut. Sweet gum sometimes develops very pretty heartwood but usually only in older trees.

Thanks to all for the nice comments; the lacquer was barely dry when I shot these pictures, I will tone down the gloss a little once the lacquer cures.

Beautiful piece Dennis and the wood is amazing! Great job!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Really fine gum hollow form. unusually good spalting and shape. dennis runs into what most of us do. we mostly love flatter finish but Glossy sells. decision time! -----old forester