Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narrowest saw blade cut ?

I distinctly remember our friends from Stockroom Supply stating it was .040 at the St Louis woodworking show. In fact he stressed it but I see it listed at .053 on Rockler. Maybe in the cold north it shrinks. A dime is actually in the .040-.045 range.

Just for reference the Stockroom Supply link lists it at .062", I am guessing they just got it mised up with the tooth count. The manufacturer's site list it at .062" also. Seems to be a lot of confusion around the kerf, my guess is it is .062. http://www.totalsawsolutions.com/

Anyone with one care to mic it?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well, I do have some experience with woodworking blades from .023" to about .040". It would terrify me to cut deeply into anything with a blade like this. They're usually called something like "slotting" saws. As they cut, especially deep cuts, they will heat up and warp....causing more heat, more warping and an all around unpleasant experience.

A Woodslicer bandsaw blade, from Highland, will leave a kerf of .022", and a smooth surface. There would be no point to sanding the inside surface, and the outside surface would clean up with minimal sanding. Of course, you always need to clamp round things before cutting them, especially on a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    "hollow ground planer blade....."
    Dino that I am, I still have one. Sure works well, and wish I could find one with carbide.
    Bill
    +1 - I have one too and it does work well - don't use it too often anymore, but still have it for sure !!

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-D0760X-Diablo-Finish-4-Inch/dp/B001CZEU0S/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331798392&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    FreudD0760X Diablo Ultra Finish Saw Blade ATB 7-1/4-Inch by 60t 5/8-Inch Arbor
    by Freud
    4.9 out of 5 starsSee all reviews(29 customer reviews)|Like 1331798431 false -1 5 5 4 (5)

List Price:
    $29.90
    Price:
    $19.97 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25

Model # D0760X
    Diameter 7-1/4"
    Machine Use Circular Saw
    Application Ultra Fine-Finish
    Teeth 60 ATB
    Arbor 5/8"
    (Diamond knockout arbor)
    Kerf .059"
    Hook Angle 10°
    I use one on my 12” Radial w/ stablizers tocut miters. It has a Hi ATB 30 degree. Cuts like a polished surface and cheaptoo. Note the 5/8 arbor!!

Actually,I have the .040 Microkerf blade. It cuts a groove as thin as a dime. I was tired and not paying attention enough when I responded at first. It is a very nice blade,but I do have to bore it out for my 3/4" arbor.

IF you want a REALLY thin blade,Stewart McDonald(sp?) guitar making catalog has a .020" blade for sawing fret slots for guitar fingerboards. I don't recommend it for grooves deeper than 1/8". It is made out of a regular plywood blade(not carbide). It is left flat on 1 side and ground hollow on the other. I make my own,and hollow grind BOTH sides. I don't trust a 1 sided hollow grind to not want to drift in the cut.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.