Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coreldraw x5 home&student

coreldraw x5 home&student

I have heard that this has less features than the full version but can anyone tell me what features ill be missing out on? And am I likely to miss these features doing simple text/images engraving

It doesn't have VBA, so that along with starting commercially meant we have put our Home and Student on ebay and have got the full version. Maybe a bit less clip art etc, but that is less relevant these days due to everything on the internet.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

I know this may sound harsh, and I know the program is expensive, but if you are really interested and really are using the program a lot, bite the bullet and buy the whole suite.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Sorry to sound dumb but what is vba? How much did you manage to the full version for? Cheapest I see on Ebay was 260ish iirc. really unsure what version to get

But with the cost of the laser, a new laptop, and excraction I need any way I have of keeping the costs down. But if I need it then I need it...

Check out Ebay or other auction sites, you can usually pick up an OEM version for $150 - $200. OEM Versions are the full versions without the books so Disc only. Just make sure that what you buy is not Student Edition, as John said Student versions don't have VBA. The Student/Education versions won't allow you to install plugin software like laser tool addons and vinyl cutting addons etc...

Also before buying get a guarantee from the seller that it can be registered with Corel.
    Last edited by Steven Cox; 03-14-2012 at 8:25 PM. Reason: typos - where's the spell check?... miss that
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Blog Entries
    Any scripting is done with VBA... this includes a number of plug-ins.

I won't get into a full discussion here, but be aware that the license agreement for the home/student edition does not allow business use... if you are a business, you need to be using the full version.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I was able to install the laser plugin in the student edition of CorelDRAW X4 suite without any problems.

I have since switched to the full version of X5, mainly to get away from the weird way the zoom works in earlier versions.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 03-14-2012 at 8:30 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I was able to install the laser plugin in the student edition of CorelDRAW X4 suite without any problems.
    X4 SE may have installed OK, I bought a 6 pack licence of the SE for X5 to set up a training workshop on corel and out of curiosity thought I'd just try on my Laptop which runs the Laser, but was unable to install the Laser Plugin and SignCut Plugin. As Dan points out you shouldn't use the Student version for business anyway, OEM is OK cause it's the full version without the books.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

I don't know if the education version of Corel X5 is different than the home and student versions but, I bought a copy on Amazon and I have had no troubles getting the plugins to work with it. That is both the stripped down laserworks plugin and the full blown program. I'm not using my laser for a business at the moment but, when and if I decide to go that route I'll buy the appropriate license. For anyone interested here is the link to the page I bought from on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Also, this version doesn't come with any manuals but, I don't know that would be necessary since there are video tutorials on the disc and it did come with a large amount of extra fonts and clipart. I think there were about 5GB of extra clipart and fonts combined. One last thing is that on the page for the education version they say they require proof and my son is a full time student so I was going to provide proof of that but, they never asked for it.
    Last edited by Dan Simone; 03-14-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Shenhui SH-G1410 1400mm X 1000mm cutting area with 100W RECI tube
    Home built CNC combo wood router/plasma cutter

Education edition has VBA then, X5 Home and Student doesn't, X4 Home and Student does.

James, loads of info is available from Google on VBA, use search terms like VBA, VBA Corel, VBA Corel Home and Student, put X5 and X4 in combination with those etc.
    Last edited by john banks; 03-15-2012 at 8:58 AM.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

I am with Greg on this one, this isn't the area you want to "save money" on.
    Next to the laser you use this for everything. (the only reason I put the laser first
    instead of Corel is that without the laser you don't need Corel!

The latest vesion of Corel is the best investment you'll make. If you can't afford it
    find a used FULL VERSION and upgrade when you can.

Sign up to the Corel Website, you'll get notices of sales and more. Corel has specials
    running all the time so you NEVER need to pay full list. Last year I upgraded to X5 got
    a Walcom tablet, Painter 11, Win Zip and a few other things for $250, that was a deal!

For the cost of say a bottle of water, soda or a beer. In a year you will have paid for
    the software. It took me three years to upgrade from 12 to X5 I should have done it
    way sooner. X5 has saved me so much time and made my life easier!

DISCLAIMER.... I am not affiliated with Corel but I believe this program to be the heart of
    any graphics business.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

In X5, didn't VSTA editor replace the VBA function?
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I have since switched to the full version of X5, mainly to get away from the weird way the zoom works in earlier versions.
    Can you elaborate on this Rich? What is "weird" about it? I don't have X5 yet, but I'm really hoping you don't say "In older versions, it zooms when you use your scroll wheel on your mouse and X5 no longer does that" because I love that zoom feature and use it ALL the time!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Can you elaborate on this Rich? What is "weird" about it? I don't have X5 yet, but I'm really hoping you don't say "In older versions, it zooms when you use your scroll wheel on your mouse and X5 no longer does that" because I love that zoom feature and use it ALL the time!
    Still zooms in by scrolling the wheel on my X5.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8