Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Keller Original!!

A Keller Original!!

Early in December, David Keller made the comment on one of my posts that he should send me a piece of wood so I could make him a bowl. I responded with something to the effect of, “Go ahead, and I will send you the ugliest piece of wood I have!” He asked if I was serious and wanted any of his turnings in trade. Although I have seen some great stuff, just asking for something didn’t appeal to me.

We decided to send each other some wood, see what we could do with it, and then send the work back. It seemed a lot more personal that way and besides; I have always wondered what a really good turner could make from the wood I have. Fortunately for me, he was foolish enough to agree!

A day or so later, I sent him a box with something like this.
    3-14-12 Keller Original 044r.jpg
    Just in time for Christmas!

In return, I received a box with a piece of rosewood burl, elm burl, redbud burl and a piece of spalted hackberry and mesquite. Nothing like the stuff I am used to! I managed to get something finished and sent off, but nothing like what I imagined I would get in return.

When the box marked “Fragile” arrived today, I couldn’t wait to see what was inside!
    3-14-12 Keller Originalr.jpg
    Sweet! Keller OR sponges! And clean to boot! Must have been leftovers from the carpal tunnel surgery that was required after trying to turn what I had sent him.

But there was more!!

3-14-12 Keller Original 1r.jpg3-14-12 Keller Original 2r.jpg3-14-12 Keller Original 3r.jpg3-14-12 Keller Original 4r.jpg

10.5 x 7 x super cool!
    Check out the desert iron wood stitching. I sure hadn’t made it easy on him!
    3-14-12 Keller Original 5r.jpg

Also included in the box was a nifty boxelder burl pizza cutter.
    3-14-12 Keller Original 6r.jpg

The hollowform has a wonderful shape and finish along with enough holes and cracks to be easily identified as a “Keller”. They will both be enjoyed for years to come!
    Although I had a few moments of initial stress trying to decide how to make a bowl out of your cool burls Keller, the rest of this experience was a lot of fun! Thanks again for a fun time, a couple great turnings, and some good memories!

I suppose I shouldn’t speak for Keller but I will.
    Feel free to comment on or critique his work! It is worthy of it!

Last edited by Baxter Smith; 03-14-2012 at 9:14 PM.

cool, very nice, great outcome for a piece of wood

Pretty freakin sweet.

that came out great.
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

Ha!! That's amazing! But I know for a fact that is not the ugliest piece of wood he has! Vintage Keller and the stitches are a great personal touch, and remember...pizza is a complete food group! Cool work doc!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

So you saw the piece of crap I sent back to Baxter… Now you get to see the TWO sweet pieces I got from him. I totally came out ahead on this trade!

The first piece is elm burl that I sent Baxter… I still don't know how he got this beautiful bowl from that hunk of crap that I sent him! It's super thin and the finish is fantastic. I even like the foot!

Baxter-elm-burl-1.jpgBaxter-elm-burl-2.jpgBaxter-elm-burl-3.jpgbaxter-elm-burl-4.jpg

The second piece was actually inscribed to my wife(total suck up move… which worked!). I sent a scrap of mesquite, and Baxter kicked it up a notch with a beautiful piece of birdseye maple. Too cool!

baxter-mesquite-1.jpgbaxter-mesquite-2.jpgbaxter-mesquite-3.jpg

It was a lot of fun exchanging wood, but I had even more fun doing the turning. I told Baxter that there was a bit of pressure when turning that cherry burl since I didn't have a replacement piece of wood in the event that I blew it up. I also noticed that I paid more attention to sanding and finishing the piece since I wouldn't be able to throw it in the box with the other crap I've made… Plus, I was gonna send it to a really good turner who was going to be able to give it the white glove treatment.

Thanks, Baxter!

Great work! Those are one of a kind for sure.

That looks like the elm tree I cut down! Nice work Baxter. Id already seen the one Doc made and it too is a fine peice of work.

Those are some nice turnings guys and sounds like it was a lot of fun. Maybe a little stress.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking pieces all around! Neat idea and sounds like you both had a good time doing it. Just goes to show what can be turned from crap .
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I sure am happy to get to know the people on SMC. Generosity runs rampant here. Nice stuff, Bax and Doc. Nicer jesture.
    faust

What a neat exchange! Looks like you two did a great job of "outdoing" the other - all the pieces are great. Keller's "OR Patient" came through the surgery with flying colors - no stainless steel lag screws like he is used to using every day. Great curves.

Baxter, you did a fine job on that ogee bowl - very, very nice, and the lidded bowl has beautiful form. I don't recall mention of Keller sending you a beautiful piece of BE maple, but it looks sweet on the bowl.

Great fun!

Great looking pieces guys. I like that you tried to send each other ugly wood.
    I guess that there really is no such thing as turning ugly wood. Life is long and very worthwhile when you can produce such nice pieces.
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Very cool exchange and surprise for each of you. Hmmm, maybe I need to take another good look at that elm burl DK sent me, you really nailed a great form on that Baxter. (and excellent move on the inscription!).
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Awesome pieces from both of you and a really neat idea. I would not expect any less from either one of you.

Great Work.

Alan

WOW! I am impressed! Very nice work by both of you!! Love the vase, the bowl and the lidded bowl! Amazing work you two!! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!