Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bulk black kreg screws?

bulk black kreg screws?

Is there anywhere you can get 500 or thousand count kreg screws in black?
    I hate the shiny stainless ones, stand out way to much.

Kreg switched to the galvanized about a year ago, so you are going to have to dig for the old black ones. I was surprised to see they also are now doing a combi-drive head vs square which makes no sense to me.

3. http://www.screw-products.com/cabine...ish-screws.htm

These are bronze finish and star drive (much better than square drive, methinks).

booo the shiny heads catch light and stand out even in inside cabinets. Any off brand equivalents available in black or burnished metal?

thanks, those screw products look good, price is good to. Unfortunatley not sold on amazon so no free shipping

McFeely's are pretty much equivalent.

Black drywall screws will also work if you screw them in by hand with a screw driver.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

(due respect to Jim) I wouldn't use drywall screws as pocket screws. 1) They are brittle, and can snap under moderate pressure (this has happened to me when using dwall screws for general construction). Use enough and this danger goes away. 2) 'pocket' screws are designed with self-tapping tips. Since no pilot holes are drilled in PS joints, the tip design is critical to avoid splitting (this happened to me when using regular screws as pocket screws), 3) the washer/pan heads have more holding power than the flat heads on dwall screws.

It's worse than that, Prasuhn. You're right that the washer head of the Kreg screws have more holding power, but the trumpet shape of the head of drywall screws acts as a splitting wedge in the pocket hole--and it's not just when the screw is driven in, it also happens over time when outside forces bear on the joint.

Drywall screws are good for, well, drywall. Not much else.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have to agree with Jason and Prasuhn. I was a lot happier when I found real screws like those sold by woodworking outlets vs. drywall screws or the soft, screw-like pieces of metal(?) sold by most retailers in wood screw packaging.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Black drywall screws will also work if you screw them in by hand with a screw driver.
    Dry wall screws should not be used for wood working. They are far too brittle and will likely fail either in use or if someone has to remove them. The bugle head will split your pocket holes if you tight the screw properly. The head will also split most hardwood as it digs into the wood like a wedge. Dry wall screws are cheap but should only be used for drywall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    It's worse than that, Prasuhn. You're right that the washer head of the Kreg screws have more holding power, but the trumpet shape of the head of drywall screws acts as a splitting wedge in the pocket hole--and it's not just when the screw is driven in, it also happens over time when outside forces bear on the joint.

Drywall screws are good for, well, drywall. Not much else.
    PSI woodworking use to sell a pocket hole jig and it came with a drill bit to use with drywall screws. It was shaped for the "trumpet" I have never used it. Always used the standard pocket hole bit.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by David G Elliott View Post
    http://www.screw-products.com/cabine...ish-screws.htm

These are bronze finish and star drive (much better than square drive, methinks).

David - have you had good experience with these screws and this company? Are the screws rugged? No stripping out the slots or snapping off under load? Are the pocket screws as good or better than the Kreg originals? Looks like a good source if you answer yes to all the above

and +++ X 10 to all those who say steer away from dry wall screws for woodworking. Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on screws.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I haven't tried them, but another option for bronze-colored pocket hole screws is http://www.busybeetools.com/products...SE-1000PC.html

I think this is them from McFeely's http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0612...hread-Dry-Lube

Not sure if there is any issue with type of finish over them. If you use a WB finish and it gets on the screws, will it rust?

Mike