Thread: sandblasting info. needed

sandblasting info. needed

I am about to make a purchase of a new compressor. I know that sandblasting has specific air requirements. I plan on getting a small counter sandblasting cabinet that would be used for texturing turnings. Can anybody suggest how much psi is needed at what cfm.?
    I want to buy the new compessor only once but don't want to go overboard. I was told that using the Grex RO sander needs about 90psi and about 14cfm. but I have no knowledge about the sandbalsting needs.
    Thanks.

You should consider a pressure pot which will not only give you far better control but allow you to work at pressures of 15 psi and up. Good quality pressure pots can be obtained at Harbor Freight for under $100. (or you can spend several hundred dollars) Using the right media and nozzle for the job is also important.

I do glass and crystal engraving (sand carving) and use silicon carbide at 180 grit. If I were doing other things I would buy another pressure pot rather than having to empty one and replace the medium.

The other method, without a pressure pot, is called the siphon method which recirculates the medium and requires excessive amounts of air and pressure and is not as controllable as using the pressure pot.

I use a Sears 5HP 30 gallon unit for that and my heat press and other air tools. It's always been up to the task.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-15-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: sp
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I asked & studied this very question about 2 wks ago. To sandblast one needs a 5hsp. compressor or more. for me that was too much of an investment, as it hovers near 1,000.00 to get a good one.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle, That is what I was thinking. I am planning on getting a Rolair 5 hp 80 Gal.
    It is pricey but I figured it would handle all tasks required.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I asked & studied this very question about 2 wks ago. To sandblast one needs a 5hsp. compressor or more. for me that was too much of an investment, as it hovers near 1,000.00 to get a good one.

Yes, the Sears is a cheap unit. I think I paid about $230 but it is 10 years old and still running. I use it a couple of times per week and it operates my sandblaster, power tools, heat press and air brushes flawlessly.

At the same time you're studying compressors study pressure pots as they minimize the need for large compressors except in an industrial environment.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7