Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in March: Molding Planes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Christmas in March: Molding Planes

Christmas came a little early (late?) this week when a shipment of molding planes arrived from Patrick Leach. There's a half-set of H&R's by Routledge (Brimingham, England), a set of beads by Griffiths (Norwich, England) and a set of rabbets by Sandusky (US).

Let the mold grow!

I've attached a couple of pictures.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 03-15-2012 at 8:46 PM.

Wow..that's a jump start for mouldings and details, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Wow..that's a jump start for mouldings and details, huh?
    Just one more attempt to reduce my electron usage, David. While my fairly high-tech router table (Incra fence, etc.) will do it over-and-over, very fast and perfectly repeatable, there isn't any personal satisfaction in it.

The the swoosh of a plane blade is almost a spiritual experience and I think that a few small imperfections showing it was hand-made is a real value-add; my own form of artistic expression.

That's why I don't really care how long it takes me to make something; I just want to feel it is "right" when I'm done.

What's your take on molding planes, David?

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    What's your take on molding planes, David?

Jim in Alaska
    Well, so far the only thing I've used hollows and rounds for is cutting a couple of simple coves, and cutting the cove on....other hollows and rounds

Beads don't count, i guess. But a beading plane is fast and satisfying to use.

So, definitely not the person to ask about using them for complex mouldings, the closest I've come to them is grand delusions.

Well, so far the only thing I've used hollows and rounds for is cutting a couple of simple coves, and cutting the cove on....other hollows and rounds

Beads don't count, i guess. But a beading plane is fast and satisfying to use.

So, definitely not the person to ask about using them for complex mouldings, the closest I've come to them is grand delusions.
    Beading planes were what led me down the slope of wooden planes in the first place.. then I got to thinking of using them for roundovers... then...

You get the picture, eh?

Looks like you had better block out some time for sharpening. Nice haul.

Nice haul...what a way to expand the collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent VanFossen View Post
    Looks like you had better block out some time for sharpening. Nice haul.
    It'll be my entry into the world of sharpening profiled hand tools, which it why I had Patrick throw in a couple of unmatched planes for practice, so if I goober up my first attempt I haven't goobered up a plane in a 75-150 year old set. To help me along though I've also been watching Larry William's DVD on "Sharpening Profiled Hand Tools" and have some conical and slipstones on the way.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I just started watching that Larry Williams DVD today. It's a good one.

How is this a gloat? IIRC, Leach charges pretty fat prices. Or maybe he sells fairy dust enchantment these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    How is this a gloat? IIRC, Leach charges pretty fat prices. Or maybe he sells fairy dust enchantment these days?
    Hi Jack -

Price isn't everything.

I buy from Pat Leach regularly, knowing that I'm paying for his expertise and vetting of a tool's authenticity and condition. I place a high value on being able to buy with confidence. If you find the prices acceptable - then it's a good buy for you.

Sure looks like a crisp clean set of H&R planes to me...

Cheers -

Rob

I haven't seen too many H&R sets of that quality, matching, cheaply anyway. You can basically pay the piper or make them yourself.

I fell into the trap of buying a huge pile of H&Rs thinking I could match them up to each other. Total waste of time. I still have them, they were on the bottom of one of my racks, and a bottle of dykem burst above them on the racks and subsquently fell to the floor, splashing all over them. what a waste that was!

Now I'm slowly working my way through building a set, and if I didn't like building tools so much, an older set of english planes like these are probably what I would look for. It's nice to not pay dealer price if you can find them in person somewhere, but if you can't, and you aren't buying them from someone who uses the planes, then you never know what you're going to get buying on the cheap.

I was simply saying "Where's the gloat?" Seems to me that gloating requires something more than buying a set of tools for a lot of dollars. Or maybe having those bucks qualifies as a general gloat? Oh, well, ...

I haven't seen anyone else use the word gloat.

I haven't seen anyone else use the word gloat.
    1984 speak is what we're into now, is it? This thread was initially titled with the "gloat" word, and was changed after I noted that I didn't see any gloat reasons.