Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas in March: Molding Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Blanton View Post
    Jim,

Awesome score and thanks for the advise when looking for a set!

I'm curious how well the irons match up to the wood profiles on an older set like yours, I could see that being more of an issue for a detailed profile, but for hollows and rounds I wasn't sure if it was as big of a deal.
    Adam,

There turned out to be one more advantage to asking Patrick for a recommendation: he went into his inventory looking specifically for what I wanted. I didn't have to wait until he posted it on the web and then hope I was the first to respond.

On iron-matchups, I tried to give them a quick "hairy eyeball" as I re-assembled them (the irons and wedges were removed for shipping) and they looked really well matched. I'll be checking each plane carefully as I go to put each of them into service, since I plan to hone them first anyway.

My inclination right now is to give them some time to acclimitize to our relatively dry air before getting too carried away. I don't know if or how important acclimitization is but I'm thinking that if it's a good practice to do on raw wood... maybe I should do it on these old planes. I'd welcome the opinion of others here.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I hope that at some point, we can get over semantics on this forum and not worry about how much someone else paid for something.

I sure hope that someone shares every nice somewhat unique purchase of tools, whether they bought for $1 or $10,000, because each time someone like Jim puts up a picture of planes like these, it gives me something more to train my eyes on or decide that I don't like and sharpen my thoughts about why that is.

It certainly gives a good opportunity for a beginner to be warned about buying a cheap set of H&Rs that haven't been used for 50 years, that don't match maker or even size, despite the markings. It is a warning I wish I would've read when I bought 40 planes a small pile of years ago before I had kids and before the wife applied as much scrutiny to what I swing through the door.
    Exactly, David.

Blog Entries
    I hope that at some point, we can get over semantics on this forum and not worry about how much someone else paid for something.

I sure hope that someone shares every nice somewhat unique purchase of tools, whether they bought for $1 or $10,000, because each time someone like Jim puts up a picture of planes like these, it gives me something more to train my eyes on or decide that I don't like and sharpen my thoughts about why that is.

It certainly gives a good opportunity for a beginner to be warned about buying a cheap set of H&Rs that haven't been used for 50 years, that don't match maker or even size, despite the markings. It is a warning I wish I would've read when I bought 40 planes a small pile of years ago before I had kids and before the wife applied as much scrutiny to what I swing through the door.
    We're pretty close David, I think everyone that participated in this thread gained something positive from it. With 1 exception.

Congratulations on the purchase Jim.

PHM

I think, other than inherit human nosiness, one reason many of us would like to know the cost it to help adjust what we are working towards. Currently, my plan is to try to work out how to build a set of hollows and rounds because, other than the Chinese versions from LV, there is no way I'll ever be able to purchase a set. I don't personally have the eye or the market places to try and put together a set of vintage planes. But, from his reputation, Patrick can certainly do that, so it would be useful to me to know what the ballpark of getting him to put a set together is. I don't need to know that it was $2413.67 but a ball bark of $500, $2000, $10000, or whatever would let me know if it were worth chasing...

Jerome,

I'll share what little I think I know here.. Please keep in mind that I have only *one* data point here.. my purchase. I may have gotten a pretty good deal or I may have paid too much. Prior to this I have never seen a set of H+R's in person here in Alaska. In any event I knew I'd be paying about $100 in shipping to Alaska where many of you would be paying $20 or less.

In general I've read that 18th century planes are better made and more ergonomic than 19th century, that early 20th century. With the renaissance in hand tools, I've no doubt that, like the LV and L-N planes, the Bickford and Williams planes are better made than either. That said, it appears that 15%-25% of current new prices is the "going rate" for a matched set by a known planemaker, in good condition.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Kind of figured something like that. Guess I'm going to keep thinking about making some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Jerome,

I'll share what little I think I know here.. Please keep in mind that I have only *one* data point here.. my purchase. I may have gotten a pretty good deal or I may have paid too much. Prior to this I have never seen a set of H+R's in person here in Alaska. In any event I knew I'd be paying about $100 in shipping to Alaska where many of you would be paying $20 or less.

In general I've read that 18th century planes are better made and more ergonomic than 19th century, that early 20th century. With the renaissance in hand tools, I've no doubt that, like the LV and L-N planes, the Bickford and Williams planes are better made than either. That said, it appears that 15%-25% of current new prices is the "going rate" for a matched set by a known planemaker, in good condition.

Jim

Roughly speaking, a matched 1/2 set of hollows and rounds, all from the same maker and owned by the same owner runs about $800 for British 19th century makers. 19th century American 1/2 sets go for about $1000-$1200. Both price guesstimates heavily depend on condition, and the prices I've quoted are generally for very lightly used sets that don't have any wedge finials sheared off or mismatched irons; some denting of the heels of the planes from hammer strikes is included in the price. An absolutely pristine set with no wear and the factory grind on the irons can run half again as much as the prices listed for British/American makes.

Complete 1/2 sets of 18th century British H&Rs are rare, and are correspondingly expensive. A 1/2 set of 18th century American H&R planes would be worth a small fortune - in the many thousands of dollars.

Complete whole sets of H&Rs (sizes 1,2,3,4 etc... up to 18) are also quite rare, but do exist. The last such set I saw sold for about 3k, though it was also by an early, famous 19th century maker, so that factored into the price as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    1984 speak is what we're into now, is it? This thread was initially titled with the "gloat" word, and was changed after I noted that I didn't see any gloat reasons.
    If they were mine I would be at least experiencing a wide grin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post

Complete 1/2 sets of 18th century British H&Rs are rare, and are correspondingly expensive. A 1/2 set of 18th century American H&R planes would be worth a small fortune - in the many thousands of dollars.
    That's why I hold out hope, every tool-hunting day, that I'll find the couple of hollows and rounds that I need to fill out my half-set of Gabriel hollows and rounds. Very close!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.