Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new Powermatic 4224 ships tomorrow.

Congrat's on the new big yellow Monster Bill. Looks like you won't have to worry about an upgrade in the future! With two 1442's wanting to stay busy too we might not see you again till Christmas!! Have fun with her!

Congratulations on the big hunk of iron. I have used one for some demos and they are a nice lathe. The only complaint is the size of the banjo. It is about twice the size of a Oneway or Rubust and about twice as heavy. Just makes it a little hard to maneuver. However I agree they are a good value.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much everyone. It's official, it shipped today. I noticed that Robust makes a tilt away for the Powermatic, I'll probably invest in one soon. Problem now, I won't sleep until it's here. Then I won't sleep because I'll want to be turning. I was nice enough to let my LOML that I'd visit around dinner time every other day or so. LMAO!
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Congratulations on the new lathe, I'm sure you will love it. Very solid, reliable machine. Takes me back to how excited I was to receive mine.

Congrats Bill ---I have been turning on a 4224 for several years now and would buy another on today.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Any tricks you can share about the lathe? Anyone turn off the bed?
    I had to order all new thread inserts for the chucks too and will have 220v to its location by the time it gets here. It'll be a busy weekend.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 03-17-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    congratulations Bill, that's big iron

how do you do that, the headstock does not move?
    I'm assuming the side of the spindle that has the handwheel is threaded too, just toss it in reverse and go to town! No need to move the headstock or swivel anything. But I might be entirely wrong... I have a 3520B (the little lathe)
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 03-17-2012 at 2:26 AM.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

You need to wire a shut off switch to kill all power before the lathe. Mine is on the wall behind me so I don't have to go far to shut the machine completely down. You don't want the inverter to run when the machine is not being used.-----------PM sent---couple more tricks
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

You will have to keep everyone away from it to prevent rusting the bed ways. Drool!
    C&C WELCOME

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone and Gary, thanks for the call back. It was great talking to you. I'll be sure to add the power shut off to the power supply on the wall and follow the other tricks you mentioned. i really appreciate the advice.

Blog Entries
    Well, it's scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I'm going to loan one of my Jet1442's to my BIL and we're going to wire for the new one this weekend. I've got some rearranging to do in the shop. I didn't realize the new lathe is 75" long. That's about 15" longet than my current one. No problem at all though.
    I'm making great progress on my big segmented turning too so I'll be able to get the feature ring on the lathe shortly after it's in place. I plan on making some video's and pictures of my work that will be on my website. That way I can put a lot more pictures and get into greater detail of the turnings I make. Thursday can't get here soon enough at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Thursday can't get here soon enough at this point.
    I understand the dynamic of waiting! Sounds like a lathe worth waiting for, though!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

That looks like an awesome lathe,(drool,drool). Thursday will come, in what will seem like a month. Then again, you're so busy you won't even notice. Can't wait for pics.

Blog Entries
    I just found out it comes assembled. This should be fun. I need to move it to my shop at home and lift it about a foot to get it in my shop. We all know though that it's going in one way or another.