Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is this achieved?

I was thinking about this and have a theory...

In the Auto industry there's a liquid mask by 3M called Overspray Masking Liquid. Essentially its a water based liquid mask that dries to a thin film that will protect just about any surface from paint oversray and its water soluble. My theory is that you could coat the surface with this stuff then engrave, spray paint with a can of spray then when the paint is dry wash of the remaining mask... Job Done!

Besides 3m there are lots of products out there that are used as liquid masks including the building industry that work on the same principal but I think finding one that's water soluable is the key. I also had the thought of mixing my own with some flour and metho with a bit of food colouring to make a brushable quick drying paste to act as a mask. Think here of the Cermark spray for Stainless Steel. When dry its a brittle coating that just washes off, yes totally different but I'm thinking here how it dries and sits on the surface.

Anyway all of this is just theory and I haven't tried anything, but I thought I'd chuck it out there because sometimes the simplest things can lead to solutions.
    Last edited by Steven Cox; 03-16-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typos - where's the spell check?... miss that
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Thats a good idea. Hadn't though of liquid mask.

The 3M stuff sounds similar to the release agent used in fibreglass moulding (which is easy to get hold of cheaply).
    It is poly vinyl alcohol - sprays on in a thin film which dries to a plastic consistency and washes off with water afterwards.
    (Don't worry about the "vinyl" bit - there is no chlorine in it).

I shall get some to use with a cheap Chinese Rowmark copy which is very difficult to clean up after engraving.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    I was thinking about this and have a theory...

In the Auto industry there's a liquid mask by 3M called Overspray Masking Liquid. Essentially its a water based liquid mask that dries to a thin film that will protect just about any surface from paint oversray and its water soluble. My theory is that you could coat the surface with this stuff then engrave, spray paint with a can of spray then when the paint is dry wash of the remaining mask... Job Done!
    Wouldn't the spray paint act as a new mask, protecting your water based mask from being washed off by the water?

I seriously don't know.. so I'm asking. I haven't done it either.

I think that you could probably peel most of it off dry - taking the excess paint with it.
    The stuff doesn't stick hard and nothing sticks to it well after it has dried.
    I haven't tried it either, but it is definitely worth a go.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Hmmm... Seems liquid paint masks are more common than I first thought, hobbiests and artists seem to use them a lot. Try googling liquid paint mask you'll be amazed what's out there. There was even a company in the US that has one specifically for laser applications - strippablecoating.com For me though here in Australia I'll just try the hobby & arts supply shops first. I'm eager to try this so I'll post up some results with pics here as soon as I can.

The artist masking fluids I saw were removed with an eraser without damaging the paper or canvas so I think that will be the first I'll try.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Dee I didn't know there was such a beast! Thanks! I have been using just the IPI or Rowmark
    plastic albiet it carefully. I will add some of these blades to my tool kit!
    Martin,

They are the best thing since sliced bread - I use the yellow ones, they are stiffer but more brittle. I use them on both acrylic and oil based paints on a wide variety of substrates - never fail! I never use the handle thingy, it does not give me the right angle since I use it rightways, wrongways and upside down sometimes! hahaha.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

OK, I'm a newbie and just surfing the site to see what wonderful ideas and tips I can to expand my product lines.

Question....did anyone try this? It's kind of cool and definitely wearable art.

Thanks,

Julie
    That'll Leave A Mark

Julie

Welcome to SMC. That process is quite easy to do. I was also going to suggest waterproof print maker's ink available at art supply stores.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice find Dee. I love this forum for little tid-bits like this. I just ordered (25) of the plastic blades from Lee Valley.

A man (or women ) can never have too many tools!
    Daniel Wolanski
    President / Mag-Knight Die Cutting

FAL-F90120S, two heads, 100W each (Lasercut 5.3)
    Copam 3050 vinyl cutter
    US Cutter MH871
    Associated Pacific Machine (APM) 30, 60 & 80 Ton Presses
    DeltaCad
    Corel X4 / X6

Hi all,

Look at web sites for window tinting. Plastic razor blades and all sorts of tools that can find an application in our workshops.

Regards,
    Alexa

Dee

Following your tip I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades. None had heard of them. I'll be shopping the internet again.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dee

Following your tip I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades. None had heard of them. I'll be shopping the internet again.

Mike check auto parts stores as they are designed to remove decals.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Lowes lists them, and most any auto parts store should have them, probably good art stores as well.

-Glen

100_3232.jpgI think it is the LazerMax product. I use it to make High School mascot earrings.
    Last edited by Anthony Welch; 04-27-2012 at 9:42 PM.
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Smile

Martin

Here's what I said earlier:
    I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades.
    That included auto supply stores.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7