Thread: Engraving Light Weight Objects on the Epilog Rotary Attch

Engraving Light Weight Objects on the Epilog Rotary Attch

I've got a customer that wants a logo engraved on these light weight alum. flashlights that I got from JDS
    Industries. It really needs to be done using the rotary attachment to wrap it around the barrel of the light otherwise I'd have to size it down so small to engrave it without the rotary that its not very readable.

The problem I'm having is these things are so light weight that they slip on the rotary rollers so the engraving isn't coming out correctly. I put the 3AAA batteries in the flashlight thinking that would add some weight to them and they wouldn't slip on the rollers but no luck.

I wish Epilog made some type of a rotary attachment that had a clamping system on it.

Mike try putting 2 small but wide rubber band around the torch at each end that will sit on the rollers that may help it get some traction. You'd just need to ensure the bands are a tight fit.
    I'm Back.... & Currently Using a 500 x 300 50w C02 Shenhui Laser
    with Corel Draw X5, RdWorks Ver8, Adobe Master Collection CS5, Ratsus Plugin for PhotoShop instead of Photograv.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    Mike try putting 2 small but wide rubber band around the torch at each end that will sit on the rollers that may help it get some traction. You'd just need to ensure the bands are a tight fit.
    Thanks for the tip Steve, I never thought of that. What I don't understand though, the barrel of these lights are not smooth metal but a rough surface so I thought sure as heck they would grip on the rubber roller pretty good. I'll try the rubber band method and see what happens.

MikeGFT075_076_077 Flashlights.jpg

I've done hundreds of those and never had a problem with slippage. Epilog Mini 24 45W using the Epilog rotary with no rubber bands or weights. I do run them with the batteries in.

9 LED Flashlights.jpg

I think I may have figured out a solution. Took some 220 grit sandpaper and cut a piece to wrap around one of the rollers. Did a test engrave on the light with painters tape and it turned out perfect. Just to be safe I'm going to cut a strip of sandpaper for the other roller.

Mikerotarywheel.jpg

It sure wouldn't work for me Darryl, don't know what to say.

I do those, but have a different rotary setup so it may not apply.
    But it couldn't hurt to make yourself some sort of jig to hold and
    move things.. perhaps a disc with a 'center' attached to it? Should
    allow the rollers to get a better hold on smaller things.

Also, looking at the rollers.. rubber can dry out over time and lose it's
    ability to grip.. or dust/debris can fill in the pores and it loses traction.
    Usually a cleanup with a damp towel will restore traction, but if the
    rubber has been cleaned with any solvents it can permanently dry out.
    In that case you might want to see if replacing the rubber helps. OR get
    a wide rubber band and put it over the existing one and see if that
    does it. If so, might be time to replace the rubber.

Hi Mike
    For light weight items like wine glasses, egg shells etc. I use children's play dough packed inside. Also use rubber restorer made for laser printer feed systems to recondition the rubber wheels when they get slick. Will look up the name and source if needed.
    Duane
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

I to have done lot's of those flashlights, they seem to be pretty popular! I have had issues
    in the past with the rubber rings they're cheap enough to replace. Try slowing down the speed
    if you run to fast there is the possiblilty of slipping. Make sure you have the current driver as
    Epilog has changed how the rotary advances inbetween spaces. It used to jump quickly, now it should
    rotate consistantly.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Don't forget you can add lead fishing sinkers for added weight.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

Good idea Rudy
    I was trying think of something that was heavy in weight yet small and sinkers would work great I think. So far my sandpaper idea is working

Mike