Thread: American made clock insert

American made clock insert

I don't know where else to post this but here I go, if its in the wrong place please move it. I am in need of your help. I need to find a clock insert that is made and stamped made in America. I am looking at the 72mm but will look at other sizes if that is the case. Please do not recommend steelbar.com, I have been in contact with them for 3 months and still cannot get a price from them. He has promised 5 times to get back to me "today" I will be looking at purchasing 325 of them to make corian clocks for a union banquet. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. I will be posting this on the other boards I visit.
    Thanks
    Bob

wwwbearwood.com claims to have American made mini inserts ( 2.375 x 2.375 ) Do not know if they are "stamped"

under $4 each
    Last edited by Randy Rose; 03-16-2012 at 2:29 PM.

I would be interested in knowing if there are any movements made in the USA if you find them. Just about everything I use comes from overseas.

The folks at Klockit.com have been very good to work with on my clock projects. I don't know if they have anything american made though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    I don't know where else to post this but here I go, if its in the wrong place please move it. I am in need of your help. I need to find a clock insert that is made and stamped made in America. I am looking at the 72mm but will look at other sizes if that is the case. Please do not recommend steelbar.com, I have been in contact with them for 3 months and still cannot get a price from them. He has promised 5 times to get back to me "today" I will be looking at purchasing 325 of them to make corian clocks for a union banquet. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. I will be posting this on the other boards I visit.
    Thanks
    Bob

Here you go Bob http://cart.clockparts.com/234f73ser...als-p-751.html

Stamped right on the back Made in The USA I use them. These are a plastic bezel if that means anything to you. To get metal with real glass lens you will have to go elsewhere.

You can talk to them and they will also do a custom dial for you if you want something specific. With that many they should have no problem accomidating you.

I will tell you this though there is no better movement that those made by the Swiss. Next will be the motors from Taiwain. I also used some good motors from Germany.

Don't order from Steebar. You will wait until he gets them in. He is a reseller and that is all.

Last edited by John Terefenko; 03-16-2012 at 4:11 PM.
    John T.

[QUOTE=John Terefenko;1895877]

I will tell you this though there is no better movement that those made by the Swiss. Next will be the motors from Taiwain. I also used some good motors from Germany.

He mentions that these are for a union banquet. Might be bad form to present plaques with imported movements. Just a thought.

I would think that is why he specified stamped "Made in America". Most unions are pretty "Gung Ho" on American made.

Thanks Guys, I talked to all the companies you mentioned, some have some inserts that are made in America, but most are moving in the direction of the Chinese. It was especially sad to see Klock kits do this. They did it at the beginning of the year. Most now are assemblied in America with chinese parts. There are still some that are made in America but it depends on the size and the amount you want. With the number I am looking for it is very difficult but I think I found a supplier. It is a lot easier to find movements made in america, I found two or three cmpanies that do that, inserts are a little tougher. Thank you for all your help.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    Thanks Guys, I talked to all the companies you mentioned, some have some inserts that are made in America, but most are moving in the direction of the Chinese. It was especially sad to see Klock kits do this. They did it at the beginning of the year. Most now are assemblied in America with chinese parts. There are still some that are made in America but it depends on the size and the amount you want. With the number I am looking for it is very difficult but I think I found a supplier. It is a lot easier to find movements made in america, I found two or three cmpanies that do that, inserts are a little tougher. Thank you for all your help.

Bob

Bob

My sign-on name is JTTHECLOCKMAN but being we have to use real names here I just wanted to show you I am into clocks. I would like to know the companies you found. If you would PM me or if you choose to list them here. I was going to mention to you that just because it says made in America does not mean the parts were.

I know what you are talking about buying American. I am a Union Electrician so I know all about what unions want.

Yes it is ashame that to satisfy the majority of the public and all the greedy CEOS the only way to compete is to have things made over in China. Hopefully there is abit of a groundswell lately to bring some of these manufactoring jobs back here because of shipping costs.

I will state again though there is no better clock makers than the Swiss, hands down. When you get the clocks you want made in America hold one against your ear and listen to the motor. Now find one made by the Swiss and do the same and you will see what I am talking about. Your best watches are Swiss made with sweep second hands and not those spotty quartz second hands. That is the mark of a good watch.

Good luck with your project and hope you post a photo of a finished product.

PS I hope you are using Home Grown woods and no exotics. (he he he)
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 03-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Your best watches are Swiss made with sweep second hands and not those spotty quartz second hands. That is the mark of a good watch.
    )
    I don't want to derail this thread but I am not sure about your point. Swiss mechanical movements are amazing works or art and craftsmanship but even in a perfect environment even the best Swiss certified chronometer will not keep time as well as even the cheapest quartz movement as long as the latter is not defective. Funny enough the only true "sweep" second hand is a Japanese movement... I am a watch buff and wear a automatic or mechanical movement about 90% of the time but I set all of them using the time from a Seiko quartz watch. I would say that Swiss mechanical movements are the apex of fine timepieces but the mark of a good watch is its ability to keep accurate time.

To the OP I applaud your priorities and really hope you can find a domestic maker.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Is it that they care if it's "made in America" or union made? There's a good chance that any movement made in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland would be union made.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread but I am not sure about your point. Swiss mechanical movements are amazing works or art and craftsmanship but even in a perfect environment even the best Swiss certified chronometer will not keep time as well as even the cheapest quartz movement as long as the latter is not defective. Funny enough the only true "sweep" second hand is a Japanese movement... I am a watch buff and wear a automatic or mechanical movement about 90% of the time but I set all of them using the time from a Seiko quartz watch. I would say that Swiss mechanical movements are the apex of fine timepieces but the mark of a good watch is its ability to keep accurate time.

To the OP I applaud your priorities and really hope you can find a domestic maker.

I do not want to get off the topic either but do you own a Rolex??? Sweep second hand. like everything if not abused it will last. There are other high priced watches that are this way too. If you want to get real technical what people call sweep second hands is just a motor that pulses more per second than the average quartz motors people see when a second hand jumps every second. Enough about that stuff.

My point was just because it is American made does not make it a great insert. I have American made inserts with American made parts and they are loud. Take a Taiwain insert and the difference is great. Now there are variables here too. Seiko makes a good insert also but not sure in the size he is after. You are not going to find a sweep second hand motor in any inserts. That would not be cost effective. I just used that as an example of what makes a better motor.

What he wants is something that states it was made in the USA because that is what Unions are about and it would be very disappointing to see made in China on the back. The thing here though is the clock will be made in America because he is making them. Now he wants to use American parts as well. I hope he can pull it off. We need more people like him.
    Last edited by John Terefenko; 03-17-2012 at 2:43 AM.
    John T.

13. https://youtu.be/92Yzhd4LZ1w

https://www.yellowpages.com/wallingford-ct/mip/crump-kirtland-h-english-clockmaker-4443007

http://www.kirtlandcrumpclocks.com/

Made in USA Clock movements and Parts. $15.00
    I was there Yesterday, they are not selling any inserts at this time.
    I spoke with Mark Dudley

Bearwood.com I have purchased from, Not all of their inserts are usa made,
    One I purchased claimed to have Japan Movement but it came with Singapore Stamped on it, with a China case, not too pleased with that, and No Response either.
    Trying out this company now, https://www.klockit.com/

https://www.clockparts.com/clock-inserts-fit-ups/
    one more for you, hope this info helps
    Last edited by Anthony W Rich Jr; 11-07-2017 at 2:50 PM.