Thread: A Bittersweet Day

A Bittersweet Day

In preparing for my wife and my move to Abq, we're having to move a lot of stuff into the garage so we can show the house. That has effectively ended my turning. So yesterday I sold the lathe to a good friend who is getting sucked in deeper. That's the bitter part. The sweet part, when we get to Abq the Minister of Finance has given me clearance to get my dream lathe. I've been saving money away for my retirement lathe. I'm thinking something made in America with a Japanese VFD.......any suggestions. I have several projects that need a bunch of hand sanding and finishing to keep me occupied, plus working on the house. I'm also taking a machining course at the local community college. My project will be an articulated hollowing system. I'll post pics of it as I go. For now I will live vicariously through you all.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Sounds like you have plenty to do and lots to look forward to. Good luck with the move Nate!

Dude...you need a pen!! If you're gonna go...go big time! Robust, Oneway, Vicmarc...if I left one out...oh well, you get the idea!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Good luck with everything Nate! When you planning to head to NM?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hope everything goes well, and that you get the house sold quickly. So....when is actual retirement? And, when do you get to spring for the new lathe? So many questions....

good lluck Nate, better take some cherry and maple when you go, should be some free mesquite out there someplace

Good luck with the move. Since you are taking a machining course, you might be consider a home built lathe. It is a lot of work but if you enjoy fabricating and machining it can be very rewarding.

@Jim, It will be the Robust AB
    @Steve, I will be leaving NC around 15 August, sure hope the house sells.
    @ John K., My actual retirement is 1 Dec 12, but I start terminal leave 15 Aug. For those not familiar with the military, terminal leave is all your unused leave time. So I take leave, still getting paid, until the retirement date. I will call Brent after we're in our new place and order.
    @Charlie, the bed of my truck will be full of wood. Have to find a wood source when I get out there.
    @Dennis, I have been giving a lot of thought to building a lathe as well, I will be picking up a Smithy 3-1 metal lathe/mill so not ruling out a home build as an additional lathe.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Good luck with the move, Nate. You could always buy a pen lathe if you really were hurting for a turning fix!

Nate,

That sounds like a great plan. I look forward to seeing you get your new shop going and getting that new lathe. Keep us up to date. I also hope your house sells quickly.

Alan

Nate, it surer sounds like you have a lot to look forward to even though you will be in a turning drought for a bit. The future sure looks bright.