Thread: Red Mallee and Oak Chalice

Red Mallee and Oak Chalice

8 1/2" tall and 7 3/4" wide at the widest part of the cup. Shellac and Lacquer finish. The cup is right at 1/4" in thickness.

I was originally going to dye the oak black but then I noticed that the oak and the sapwood of the RM was almost exactly the same color and intensity so I left the oak natural. I kind of like it that way.

All comments welcomed.

1168A.JPG1168.JPG

Beautiful! I'm glad you left the oak plain. It matches really well....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Very nice wood combination!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Colors are great in the mallee and the oak goes well with it. The finish looks very nice as well. The pedestal isn't especially graceful but not everything has to be. It matches and elevates a beautiful bowl and does it well.

So, you had some Mallee left from the prior "big order"!! Nice work, Toney. I like the color combo, and I like the concept with the inset piece - similar to some of your work I saw at the KY Crafted Market. Not fully sure about the proportions - the pedestal seems a bit heavy for the bowl, but hard to tell from the pics.

Having seen your work up close, I feel certain the fit and finish is first class!!

Very nice...the shape of the cup portion looks great and the weight of the pedestal does look a little heavy, but standing back and seeing size of cup...it works fine and I suspect up close does it even more justice!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That is a nice piece. I agree with the others that the pedestal seems a little heavy but really a good looking piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really like the color combo here! Also like the contrast between the two wood grains!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice piece Toney! The cup is really nice. I like the color combo, but agree with the others on the pedestal. I think because the pedestal is lighter in color, it probably appears a little heavier than it actually is.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks for the comments and the critiques.

In regards to the stem, I did not want a dainty, fragile looking base, I wanted something more like what you would see and old English king have on his table. Since that was my overriding thought I probably went too far the other way. I looked at it many times on the lathe but I should have taken one more look before calling it.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person John. I just wish I could have seen some of your pieces in person too!!!

Toney

Toeney, I love the Rm ans the colors in play with the base. Only thing I might have tried differently would be a small bead where the base and bowl meet. But since I've not had a chance to try something like this, I have no room to talk!!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2