View Poll Results: What do you use for accurate crosscuts?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Miter saw (sliding or not)

63 24.90%
  • Tablesaw

144 56.92%
  • Radial arm saw

29 11.46%
  • Other

37 14.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for accurate crosscuts?

What do you use for accurate crosscuts?

I was just wondering what do you use for accurate crosscuts in solid wood (not sheet goods) like, for an example, cutting the stiles and rails for a door where squareness is essential? I was using my sliding miter saw, but I learned the hard way that it wasn't cutting perfectly square when I used it to cut the stiles and rails for my doors. Then every door glued up slightly out of square. Now I aquired a better tablesaw and I am using a cross cut sled to make square crosscuts. I still use my sliding mitersaw for jobsite and rough work. I do have a raidal arm saw, but it is a older cheaper one making it inaccurate for anything but rough work.

I use my scms for cross cutting stiles and rails for face frames and doors. I took the time to set the fence at 90 degrees to the blade when I got it and haven't had a problem with it since I got it in March of 2009.

I use the table saw with a sled, once set up it is spot on and I have no problems with it.

Blog Entries
    My cross cutting station consists of a 10" sliding miter saw (Hatachi) and a pair of Biesmeyer miter saw tables and a Biesmeyer Stop.

I use a 3 ft table to the right of the saw and a 6 ft table to the left.

This works well for my cross cutting needs.

PHM

I voted other because I use a format style saw.

I previously owned a cabinet saw, and used a sled.

I've never used a mitre saw in my shop, they're a waste of space in my opinion. Now, if I did on site work, a mitre saw would be a neccessity............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Tablesaw and sled = perfect cut.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tablesaw plus sled.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Table saw & Incra 2000 miter gauge for < 12” wide. Table saw & sled for wider.
    I would probably have a Norm type miter saw station if I had the room. As it is, my miter saw lives on the floor under my lathe.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Radial arm saw here. Always ready and with a length stop on the fence it's deadly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I use the table saw with a sled, once set up it is spot on and I have no problems with it.
    +1 on this. A tablesaw with a crosscut blade and well-tuned sled is hard to beat.

Mike

I use a table saw with a crosscut sled. I can cut a piece up to 24" wide, so it works equally well for solid lumber or sheet goods. For shorter narrower pieces, I have an Incra miter gauge on the table saw.

Hammond Trim O Saw. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    I was just wondering what do you use for accurate crosscuts in solid wood (not sheet goods) like, for an example, cutting the stiles and rails for a door where squareness is essential? ]
    My 7-1/2" Makita Sliding miter saw. Properly set up it is very accurate and I can provide stops for repetitive cuts for long stock always fully supported.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Radial arm saw here. Always ready and with a length stop on the fence it's deadly accurate.
    +1

@Rod, I love you man! I wonder if you owned a Northfield #4 (which if anyone doesn't know is a "table" saw) you would have voted other since it is technically called a variety saw. Don't worry I do understand the point but Hammer does call them a table saw at least on their NA web sites.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I voted other, because right now I cannot do accurate crosscuts and that is a problem I need to solve..