Thread: Blum Solo Drawer Slides - Are they really soft close?

Blum Solo Drawer Slides - Are they really soft close?

Have any of you used the Blum Solo Drawer Slides (under-mount concealed)? Are they really soft close? In other words, if I shove a drawer closed, will it catch and guide itself into a closed position?

I'm thinking about purchasing some solo 262H (for frame cabinets) slides. They are half the price of the Tandem's and I'm trying to figure out why they are so cheap. I can't find any videos demoing their soft close feature so I figured maybe they aren't really soft close.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the Blum Solos do not offer a soft close feature. That is Blum's "economy" undermount model.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have used these with success and they add the softclose feature to any drawer slide, yes I said any drawer slide. The manufacturer comes to the Kansas City Woodworking show so I was able to see them live before purchasing them.

Give them a look.

http://woodworker.com/indamatic-soft...su-153-914.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Blum Solos do not offer a soft close feature. That is Blum's "economy" undermount model.

It's not very clear. Blum's Solo brochure says, "BLUMATIC self-closing action is an importantfeature for the homeowner. The drawers
    easily self-close 1-1/4" from the cabinet."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Jacobson View Post
    .. Are they really soft close? In other words, if I shove a drawer closed, will it catch and guide itself into a closed position?..
    The terminology of drawer slides is a little confusing. Generally there are two kinds of slides -- soft close, and self close. Both will "guide itself into a closed position". However, the self close does it more abruptly than the soft close. The soft close just closes slowly and softly. The self close may thump a bit when it closes.

Most slide manufacturers make both kinds of slides. They don't all use the same names to describe them, so you sometimes have to read carefully to figure out what they mean.

i recommend just getting the regular tandem drawer slides. the solo's are self-closing but they're still epoxy coated so the action is still not as smooth as their higher end slides.

I would still like to hear from someone who has used the Blum Solo glides. How did you like them?

The Solo's are not soft close. They rely on gravity to self close and they do not include the Bumbmotion soft close features.

i have used them as well and they are "self-closing" like the regular epoxy undermount slides. i'll probably never use them again since my attitude is if i'm going to spend all that time building a cabinet, shouldn't i use the best hardware available?

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    i have used them as well and they are "self-closing" like the regular epoxy undermount slides. i'll probably never use them again since my attitude is if i'm going to spend all that time building a cabinet, shouldn't i use the best hardware available?
    Thanks, Frank. You may have just cost me $400.

what?!? how many drawers are we talking about here??? btw you should check out wwhardware.com for prices as there's a great deal of variability. years from now you and your wife will appreciate the fact that you "invested" more into your project

Also check out HDL hardware. There prices are the lowest I've found. The only thing is you have to set up an account with them.
    hdlusa.com