Thread: Setting up a contractor saw; things I never learned in kindergarten.

Setting up a contractor saw; things I never learned in kindergarten.

I have had this 113-298762 craftsman saw for a couple years and it has been doing well enough, but I decided to rebuild it this weekend. I had picked up new In-Line pulleys that were a third the cost and decided that I would install them and then decided to tear down the machine and clean it out. Job done and it is spic and span, lubricated and ready for work. I have never had the manual and never had need to adjust the trunion and just set it with a square now and again to keep it reasonably perpendicular to the table. I have subsequently found a dozen YouTube video's and pdf articles on setting the trunion square.

With the new pulleys and having removed the motor and motor mount I am struck by my brain fart and lack of concrete knowledge of how this is to be adjusted. I marked the two mounting rods prior to removing it and they were pushed in as far as they would go. There was no bolt that kept the motor from sliding left to right and it seemed to stay aligned by the belt relative to the pulley on the arbor. But now I have put a bolt in place and can assure the motor pulley and arbor pulley are in-line. I assume that the motor weight tensions the belt. But my question is the adjustment in length from the table that is possible and which changes the distance between the two pulleys by pulling the mount out or pushing it in. I can use judgment and be sure that it the top most raised position and lowest lowered position of the arbor there is always the full weight of the motor on the belt. But is there a "right" way to do this. I would think that there is a belt length that was spec'd for this saw and I can't find the manual on-line. I imagine this would make the optimal extension of the motor mount more obvious. Advise is welcome.

The other issue with the rebuild is finding the hex key, torx key, or what ever adjusts the set screws on the top of the table that limit the tilt of the arbor stop at 90 degrees and the furthermost setting. I have cleaned it out and maybe it is stripped but there is a set screw that is rounded out in the center and at the bottom looks like a torx of some size I don't possess or it is in fact a stripped out hex set screw. But without the manual I can't tell.

It is nice to have cleaned up this saw. It was a Craig's list special for $150 that has been working fine but now that it is totally cleaned up I have a couple questions I hope Y'all can help me with.
    Last edited by Bruce Seidner; 03-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.

The manual is not on the Craftsman site but has been moved to Manage My Life site and I was able to download the manual and all was revealed in the manual. Complete instructions and even helpful reminders of basic safety. And it does seem that I will have to drill out and replace the hex inset screws that are completely stripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Seidner View Post
    The manual is not on the Craftsman site but has been moved to Manage My Life site and I was able to download the manual and all was revealed in the manual. Complete instructions and even helpful reminders of basic safety. And it does seem that I will have to drill out and replace the hex inset screws that are completely stripped out.
    That is great that you have the manual and can get things back the way they should be. On the set screws, if you can bring the blade to 90° then I would not worry about it. I have one on my saw and never use it, I found I could bring it to the stop and use more pressure and go over the 90° or I could just hit the stop and it would be under so I just do not use it, that is what I have a square for.

+1 on what Bill said I never trust a stop even though mine are set. I still check with a square to be safe. Get a drafting square they are cheap and accurate, keep it by the saw. When needed you will be ready to set the blade dead on and know for sure your right. Peace of mind is priceless! Happy sawing!!!

Thanks guys. I got the set screws out with a screw extractor. It was unnecessary but stuff like that can bug me. But it is cool how a plastic $3 drafting square can be as accurate as a high dollar machinist square.