Thread: sarasota fl

sarasota fl

Makes you think. I'm in Sarasota Fl and there is no place to buy wood like exotic woods and turning tools that I can find had a local tell me you have to mail order or drive 89 miles north to a Woodcraft. Guess I'm spoiled have 2 sawmills that have lots of wood to pick form one has wood from around Indiana up to 2"to. The other has exotics to 1"to. You don't think about how much trouble some have it to ge.t wood for projects . So this is something I have to remember when I retire there has to be someware close to get turning wood and tools I like to see what im buying and don't.like to wait on it to come in the mail.

Look around. Do you see many hardwood trees?

I know it's a little way north for you, but check out Viable Lumber. They have all sorts of exotic woods that have been harvested locally/regionally. Norfolk Island Pine, Camphor, Indian Rosewood, etc. I have been to a few of their millings (they do a lot of lumber for flatworkers, but the rest of the wood is for us spinners) and Pete and partners let volunteers have first dibs on off-cuts and scrap (good stuff!). There is also WoodTurningBlanks4U.com and I think they are in the Sarasota area. Check out thier website, too, for contact info. They were at the Tampa Woodworking Show with lots of blanks.
    Last edited by Allen Howell; 03-19-2012 at 9:10 PM.
    Allen

I guess that explains why my bro-in-law salvaged 4x4s from the bottom of shipping pallets. Made some nice candle stands and a wooden bird cage with them!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

If you are going to Orlando you can check out Amazon Exotic Hardwoods in Casselberry.

Marty

http://www.amazonexotichardwoods.com/

Woodturning Blanks 4U may not much in the way of exotics but they have a very good inventory of all sorts of turning lanks and at reasonable prices. Steve and his wife are terrific people to work with and are in Bradenton, very close to you. Here is their site http://www.woodturningblanks4u.com/index.html

I saw an article in Woodshop News some years back about a guy in Florida who had salvage rights to storm downed trees. Most were exotics, and he milled them. There are a lot of things that grow down there that are not on the common market. Check with the local tree services.

robo hippy

Went to a hardware store today called craftsman supply in tampa. They had turning tools and alot of wood out back he had some rosewood logs I got one about 10" dia and 18" long had some checks in the end but when I get home Ill cut it up and see if it is any good. Heading north in the moring next stop at Bill's house in Ga.