Thread: Hello Everyone! .... and a couple questions.

Hello Everyone! .... and a couple questions.

I have been a fairly competent machinery type woodworker for many years, and have recently been attracted to the hand tool side of woodworking. To make a long story short..... I lost power a few weeks ago, just as I was getting ready to make some mortise and tenon joints for a woodworking bench. After waiting a few hours for for the power to come back on I finally lost patience and decided to cut them by hand. Out came my 20 dollar backsaw, and my hardly ever used Craftsman chisels. I completed all 4 rails and legs in about 7-8 hours. I fitted everything together afterwards and was happily surprised with the results. The joints are probably (newbie tight) and with some of the typical (newbie mistakes), but the joints are passable visually. I was never more satisfied with my work as I was that day. I spent a whole day in the garage with no dust collection running, no hearing protection, and I could hear my my favorate radio station. It turned out to be one of the most pleasurable days that I ever experienced as a hobbiest woodworker. The past couple of weeks have been spent researching hand tools and sharpening sytems. To be honest....... I can say that I am overloaded & overwhelmed with information as to what I need to begin my hand tool journey. I understand that everyone has a different approach with building a tool collection.... and that is a good thing. I would really appreciate and feedback from you more experienced Neanderthals. My basic questions are:

1. What basic hand planes

2. What basic handsaws

3. Miter box?

Very respectfully................... John

If you are looking for a fairly complete kit, here's where I would start:
    Planes- low angle block plane, smoothing plane (#3 or 4), jack plane (#5)
    handsaws- dovetail saw, crosscut and rip full size handsaws, if you want to do tenons then two tenon saws (x-cut and rip)
    I love having a miter box. A good one is more accurate than its powered cousin. My favorite is an old Millers Falls Langdon miter box. The prices have gone up recently, but they can still be found for decent prices if you look. Obviously, you'll want a saw to go with it.

I think it goes without saying to buy the best you can afford. They will reward you for years, as well as your children and grandchildren.

Blog Entries
    John,

Welcome to the Creek and hold on while riding the slippery slope. Your profile doesn't indicate where you are. You may be close to one of us who welcomes others to come give tools a test drive. If you live near Portland, OR send me a private message and we can work out a get together for a day of plane test driving.

Back saw and chisels sounds like you have some of the basics.

For planes it really gets to the state of warfare when a discussion gets beyond the basic #4, #5 & #7 parameters. If you have smaller hands, you may want a #3. Bigger hands may like the #4-1/2, #5-1/2 & #8. It really depends on you and the kind of work you want to produce. One great place to start if you can afford it is a low angle block plane from Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley. Either of those right out of the box should work fine and a level of performance you can use as a bench mark for any future plane acquisition/restoration.

Of course, since you mentioned M&T joinery someone is going to say you need a shoulder plane.

You mentioned Craftsman chisels. Some will jump all over that and say you need to get a better set. I have more chisels than the average bear and I use my junky Craftsman chisels all the time.

I also have quite a few saws and I feel like I am just getting started in my acquisition of saws.

Maybe if you offered a bit more about what your future projects will be, more specific information will be forthcoming.

This from a person who has 4 Stanley/Bailey #5 planes and would buy another if the price was good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have started using a lot more hand tools this last year. Pick up the book Hand Tool Essential. I found it a great source of information.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Tool-Esse.../dp/1558708154

Here is a great DVD on Hand Planes

Handplane Basics: A Better Way to Use Bench Planes
    Christopher Schwarz
    Last edited by Jacob Nothstine; 03-20-2012 at 9:22 PM.

Check out Christopher Schwarz, The Anarchists Tool Chest. He wrote his book to give his opinion on which hand tools he would recommend. I enjoyed the book and you too.

I'll second The Anarchists Tool Chest. It's exactly what you are asking for. The accompanying DVD is worth the extra $10 or so as he shows each one of his tools and why he choose that specific brand/model.