Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Restored

Lathe Restored

Hello all, I haven't been able to post in a while, been a little busy with the hustle and bustle of every day life. so i thought i would share one of my latest projects with you. My uncle actually got me hooked on vintage tools mostly treadles. In the early 1880's Albert Goodell designed this treadle lathe and saw combo while employed at Miller Falls. price for lathe, 5 turning tools, grind stone and 4 drill bits was $10.00. plus for $2.50 more you may get fret saw attachment. still looking for a few pieces.... before and after pics of my Goodell Impoved treadle lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Now, that is just awesome!! Great job, Jeff!

Wow, a restored work of art and an exercise machine all in one. That is beautiful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That's a rather odd combination of machines? Seems the table of the saw would really be in the way for turning, and obviously most of the turning was small spindle work, so I wonder what was being turned in those good ol' days? Looks like a nice job of restoration Jeff, and is there a market for such restored machines among collectors?

I know collectors prefer original aged lathe, but this one will not be sold, for my own collection next on my list New Roger treadle saw. the saw attachment does come off for turning. this is a youth lathe.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Fantastic. Beautiful lathe/saw.

Thanks for posting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

You got quite a machine there. It shouts "PEN TURNING DEMO", but you might have trouble getting a lot of speed for buffing. I bet you could draw a crowd.

Great machine! Nice resto. too. Have you taken it for a test drive yet?
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Nice job on the restoration. I would like to get one of the treadle machines, but don't have room to use it. The reason for making the scroll saw./lathe combination was to produce the ginger bread trim on the victorian houses. The scroll saw cut the scroll work (obviously) and the lathe was used to make the spindle pieces. At least that is what I read somewhere. Of course the scroll saw would be used for anything else on wanted to cut, same for the lathe.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Now that is down right beautiful. Great restoration.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great job on the restoration. The first time I ever saw something being turned was on a lathe similar to this one. Pretty neat!

We have three of these in my AAW chapter, and bring one or two of them to demos. They are always a big draw. We got Beth Ireland and Jimmy Clews turning on one of them. I've used them many times.

That's pretty neat, Jeff. Hope to see it at a meeting. As a young GI I ran a treadle powered printing press while in the Army. I might have had the strongest right leg in western Europe at the time.

I am glad someone restores and saves pieces of our past like this. You have done a great job, I am sure it will look great in your collection.

Nice old treadle machine. I used to have a Barnes #6 treadle lathe but was converted to electric a long time ago. If the treadle parts were available I would have kept it.