Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Old Saws on the Market

New Old Saws on the Market

Anyone else see the Schwartz's post about these. http://nwtoolworks.wordpress.com/for-sale-3/

If nothing else, interesting and something no one else is doing. I wonder how they'll do (probably well, since they have now officially been "Schwarzed")

What say ye Neanders? Yay or Nay?

Although, if I wanted to try one I'd be inclined to make my own. I'm intrigued by the extreme hang angles on them, one looks like a bread knife and the others are at what looks like 90 degrees to the tooth line. George, you should make a replica of these, and let us know what you think.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-23-2012 at 1:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    It seems strange to me that the bottom of the handles are below the tooth line on most of them.

Maybe if some folks have too much money and needs a show piece to hang on the wall of their man cave some of these will move quickly.

For my taste, I am learning more about sawing and saws by restoring old ones and using them. One thing I have learned is it is more the operator and less the pretty factor of the saw that makes straight cuts. Good teeth, straight saw plate and experience will do fine no matter the cosmetics.

Another question comes to mind of just how accurate the drawings in Moxon's original text might actually be. There may be artistic interpretations carried over into his illustrations. Nothing intentional, but the mind interprets what we see and an image of a saw with a handle at one angle could actually had a different relationship angle from handle to tooth line.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-23-2012 at 1:48 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe if some folks have too much money and needs a show piece to hang on the wall of their man cave some of these will move quickly.
    I believe the newly established nomenclature is "gentleman woodworker"

They look like re-enactor materials, but who knows, maybe someone will buy them and report they are good to use? the .3" plate might make up for the lack of a back on the joinery saws.

They look nicely made, but are a segment that you'd have to label "enthusiast's tools" (i've never read any of the moxon or roubo books, so maybe there is something i'm missing).

I wish the guy well, they look tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    They look like re-enactor materials, but who knows, maybe someone will buy them and report they are good to use? the .3" plate might make up for the lack of a back on the joinery saws.
    I could see them being handy as a sorta general purpose bench saw, maybe like how one might use a small panel saw or a half-back saw. I'll never buy one, but its one of those things that that could be added to my, "maybe I'll build one someday out of pure curiosity list". That list is getting long, and I'm coming to learn that maybe often means probably not ever.

I'm extremely intrigued by several of those saws. I'd like to try that Ancient-Style saw, as well as the larger bench saw (not the moxon). I've always wanted to make an ancient Egyptian style saw, even if they do cut the wrong (pull stroke) way.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

The ancient style looks to me like it would be a difficult handle to hang on to. I haven't seen the original illustration,but it doesn't seem practical. That taper would be hard to hang onto. And how come they all have late 18th.C. saw screws in them? The mid 18th. C.White tenon saws we reproduced from the sole surviving example example did not have those later style saw screws. They had what I can best describe as a small carriage type bolt,with square nuts. The Kenyon late 18th.C. saws we copied had the "fully developed" saw screws that were to be standard for years to come.

I am also wondering if such early type saws had saw plates that thin(.030"). Those saws would have had hand forged blades at the time they were made. Maybe that is why they could get along with no back on the bench saw.

I also wonder how the keyhole type saw is going to stay rigid with such a thin blade,unless it cuts on the pull,like a Japanese saw.

It has been many years since I studied Moxon,as it was too early for the period Williamsburg represented,so I could be wrong on several counts here. Perhaps someone who is more researched on this subject can step forward.

In googling Moxon saws,there was a mention that "the tennant(tenon) saw,having a thin blade,hath a BACK to keep it straight." So,where is the back on the bench saw,at least? And,what did "thin" mean to those in the 17th.C.? As far as I know,they had thicker blades than we do now. There is also some discussion as to whether Tennant referred to a bow saw or not. I don't see how a bow saw has a back,myself,unless they mean the horizontal bar in the frame. That just doesn't make it for me.

I just read the blog info. I can't tell from the picture of the original print whether that saw has saw screws or just nails holding the blade on. I have seen Moxon copies that used hand made nails rather than any type of screw.

As I said,it's been a very long time since I looked at Moxon. Feel free to correct me. Some of my observations are based on practical considerations,such as how thin those blades are,and how thin the compass saw can be without buckling.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-23-2012 at 3:19 PM.

I think I'll wait for an original George Wilson saw! Should that not ever happen, if I want a saw in this style, I'll make my own.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I think I'll wait for an original George Wilson saw! Should that not ever happen, if I want a saw in this style, I'll make my own.
    Indeed. A George Wilson saw would be a treat.

I can't say that the Ancient style saw looks comfortable, but I'm curious. Might have to to make one, just to see whats its like.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Indeed. A George Wilson saw would be a treat.

I can't say that the Ancient style saw looks comfortable, but I'm curious. Might have to to make one, just to see whats its like.
    You seem to suffer from the same affliction as I.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I believe the newly established nomenclature is "gentleman woodworker"
    Nothing new about that term Chris - has been in common usage for 200 years or so.

We did recognize today that it applies to us only in the negative sense. That we are gentlemen woodworkers, but not gentlemen in general.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    We did recognize today that it applies to us only in the negative sense. That we are gentlemen woodworkers, but not gentlemen in general.
    Either way the term has been providing sniggering material for working stiffs since the 18th C.

Let us not forget that the magazine form requires monthly contributions from staff members.

- he's got to write about something. That said, I'm at a loss for what these saws can do for me that a well tuned D-7 panel saw can't.
    If a basic saw is good enough for Ron Herman, it's good enough for me.

These things are the natural extension of what I have said before - you can spend your time making tools, or making furniture.
    It's nice when the two come together, but all too often - that's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Let us not forget that the magazine form requires monthly contributions from staff members.

- he's got to write about something. That said, I'm at a loss for what these saws can do for me that a well tuned D-7 panel saw can't.
    If a basic saw is good enough for Ron Herman, it's good enough for me.

These things are the natural extension of what I have said before - you can spend your time making tools, or making furniture.
    It's nice when the two come together, but all too often - that's rare.

Patricians versus the plebeians? I've seen lots of reasons why expensive tools are purchased, but few that actually deal with the actual use.

I have to wonder how many of the Lunn saws ever saw wood, let alone needing resharpened? How many buying the WP winding sticks actually know how to use them? As far as the magazine form, it goes without saying they must sell ad copy and have you really ever seen a tool panned?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.