Thread: Question? Storing lumber outside with tarp

Question? Storing lumber outside with tarp

I have 2 stacks of 2x10 rough cedar it’s really taking up floor space in my shop.

I was wondering if it would hurt to stack and sticker between the boards on cinder blocks
    outside and keep it covered with a tarp during bad weather?

Floyd, it is not a good idea to cover lumber with a tarp, as moisture will get trapped and it will mold. Storing outside and stickered is ok, but it's best if you put something solid over the top of the stack and leave the sides open.

Scott would somthing like tin roofing be ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Floyd, it is not a good idea to cover lumber with a tarp, as moisture will get trapped and it will mold. Storing outside and stickered is ok, but it's best if you put something solid over the top of the stack and leave the sides open.
    Last edited by Floyd Cox; 03-21-2012 at 1:59 PM. Reason: spelled somthing wrong

Roofing sheets would work fine
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Guy up the interstate from whom I buy oak stores his like that (covered with tin roofing). Seems to work.

Hi Floyd,

I have found mold to be a problem in my area. Pick a location with good air flow - I think out of the sun is best - but a place that doesnt hold dampness/moisture. If you dont have tin, even just another sheet of plywood or anything that allows air to flow through the stack.

Thanks Guys for the information

Another idea. I agree with all that covering with tin with a good bit of overhang is the best. Then you should use shade cloth draped over the sides. Then you should ensure some poly under the pile to act as a vapour barrier, then you should set it on 4x4's or better yet 6x6's to get it up off the ground and oh yeah, pre-dry all your stickers etc etc. You get the pic?
    However, I've stored cedar here in the NW for years in the open (always stickered and vapour barrier under it and it off the ground) with no cover. The top will grey up in colour, but the cedar will remain, (does for me) sound. I've on occasion thrown a 12'x16' tarp over it as well. The piles are about 5' wide, 6' tall x 12' long. When the tarp is on, keep it off the top row as you WILL get some mold stain on the wood next to the tarp. This usually isn't too bad but you can plane it off or often, a bit of soapy water with vinegar or a bit of bleach I'm told will work too. The sides I allow to flutter in the wind. Orient your pile so the breeze blows through it, don't put it in a well protected area. This isn't ideal, you have to on occasion fix the tarp, but it's cheap and seems to work. Depends if you have a lot to do as well. Also depends on how dry you need to keep your wood of course but this is certainly better than nothing if the price of tin doesn't suit your fancy. Never wrap a pile of wood tightly with tarps or plastic or you will get mold throughout the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Scott would somthing like tin roofing be ok ?

Floyd, roofing tin is IDEAL for covering your stack. Try to overhang it by a foot or so all of the way around.