Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collector

A shop vac is not a dust collector, nor is a dust collector a shop vac. They each can do the others job marginally at best. The descriptions above say it all, except to say, if you can swing it, do both. You will find they both come in VERY useful...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    There's a jet 2hp in pretty good shape on CL, would this be better than a new HF?
    probably not. jet isn't what it was 25 years ago. the only things that would be of interest to me in that compalrison are the size of the impeller and the reliability of the motor. if the jet is superior to the HF in these areas, it might be worth considering. but don't get bamboozled by the name jet. it isn't what it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    probably not. jet isn't what it was 25 years ago. the only things that would be of interest to me in that compalrison are the size of the impeller and the reliability of the motor. if the jet is superior to the HF in these areas, it might be worth considering. but don't get bamboozled by the name jet. it isn't what it once was.

You have got this backwards about Jet. Jet like Grizzly has ALWAYS been an import brand and and their quality is MUCH better than it was 25 years ago it has taken the opposite course from the American made brands that have moved to Asian production. What are you basing this proclamation on?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

ok, i picked up the HF unit and a hook up kit. Maybe I'll have time to set it up this week end. Thanks for the help!!
    ken

Ok, got the HF and I guess it works fine - Here's a pick with it tucked in the corner. Just need to run a new outlet off a separate breaker and get another 10' pc of hose to connect the table saw. I would like to hook up the sander as well... Thanks for the insight and comments!

IMG00751-20120402-1826.jpg
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McColley View Post
    "peak developed HP" is liars (I mean marketing) speak. The true number is ~ 1/10th what is published..
    1/10th eh. Can you back that up?
    If I have a 2hp DC, It's only developing ~.2hp?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Coupon in latest issue of Pop. WWing for the HF unit. On sale for $149.99.
    I love mine. Can't beat it for the money.
    I added good bags from Highland Woodworking.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

If it is the JET DC 1200, yes that would be a better choice IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    What are you basing this proclamation on?
    primarily that whenever there is a comparative tool test in a respected WW periodical that features jet and/or powermatic, they are never rated as the top tool in the test even though they usually have the highest price. this covers several popular tool categories such as TSs (10" contractor, hybrid and cabinet), BSs and jointers. those brands seem to be rated top tools only in the more esoteric tool categories (e.g., jointer/planers, lathes, air cleaners and drum sanders) where, in most instances, they are nearly the only producer of the tool tested. if they were that superior in the more popular tool categories, wouldn't the people testing these items regularly be able to figure that out and routinely rate JET/PM products as top tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Ok, got the HF and I guess it works fine - Here's a pick with it tucked in the corner. Just need to run a new outlet off a separate breaker and get another 10' pc of hose to connect the table saw. I would like to hook up the sander as well... Thanks for the insight and comments!

IMG00751-20120402-1826.jpg
    congrats, ken. enjoy your new HF DC. it addresses a function that needed to be addressed and whatever you saved vs. a more expensive alternative can go to enhancing your shop. i'm looking at the same HF unit and would be interested in your comments about it's performance after you've had some time using it.