Thread: Emmert 457,710 Turtleback Vise

Emmert 457,710 Turtleback Vise

One of these for sale local. Just wondering what they go for in reality, and if it would be worth buying it, and holding onto it unless someone is looking for one.

Why not buy it to use? Turtlebacks are the older style. Prices fluctuate from $200 to $600 for the older style over the last 20 years. Yost and Oliver vises typically go for higher. Check ebay for prices.

Make sure you have a good look at it before you buy it to make sure there are no broken parts as they can be expensive to replace if you can even find them. I am in the process of restoring a sweet T2 that I recently acquired but it has a broken nut that I only discovered after disassembly and which could have only been discovered by disassembling. Can't find a replacement anywhere (including CM Machinery). It is currently away at a place specializing in repairing cast iron to see what they can do with it. I acquired a Number 2 a while back that is my primary vise at the moment and it was perfect. Point being, they are VERY sweet vises but there is a lot of variability in the condition so give it a good once-over so you know what you are getting into. If you do buy it, and it is a T2, and you decide to part it out AND it has an intact nut please let me know. Also, post some pics if you do buy it as I like to see pics of these old beasts.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields