Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HVLP Spray Guns: Which is best for under 150.00

HVLP Spray Guns: Which is best for under 150.00

I am wanting to buy a HVLP gun that I can use for most stains and finishes. So far what I have gleaned is I need one with interchangeable needles and nozzles. I already have a compressor, dryer and pressure regulator. But I have seen some that have the regulator on the gun as well. It kind of makes good logic to be able to control the pressure level at the gun as the pressure would vary from the compressor to the gun based on hose/air line length. Or am I wrong in that assumption? So I ask to share in the wealth of knowledge and experience I find here on the Creek. I really don't want a self contained unit such as Earlex as when I try those at store demos the hose seems to be cumbersome. Plus as mentioned I already have the compressor, it is a DeVillbis 6hp 30 gallon Tank, in case that is an ingredient that must be matched to the gun. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

First, check the finishing forum there is TONS of info there.

Second, call Homestead Finishing and follow their recommendation

Third, my call would be the QualSpray QS600WB but there are a lot more experienced people here

What you want is called a conversion HVLP gun. It connects to your regular high pressure compressor. The regulator on the gun is to reduce the pressure to the level for HVLP. I have a couple of Porter Cable PSH-1s but those are no longer offered new. I'm sure there's a bunch of good conversion guns out there.

In my opinion you want a gun that you can change the nozzle and needle but only if you're going to spray very thick paint, such as latex (every now and again, I need to do a small job in regular water based paint - and you have to thin the paint down quite a bit to spray it). For shooting regular shellac or lacquer, I can use the same nozzle and needle.

Two guns are nice - I use one for shellac (which I use as a sanding sealer) and one for lacquer. That way I don't have to switch one gun between the two finishes when doing a finishing job.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

if you want to spray latex, an airless sprayer is a lot faster and requires much less refilling.

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    if you want to spray latex, an airless sprayer is a lot faster and requires much less refilling.
    Well, there's a number of problems with airless sprayers, although they're good for big jobs, such as painting a house. But for small jobs (painting a shelf) they're a pain. The major pain is that the system holds a lot of paint so you waste a lot priming it and then cleaning it out. And cleaning an airless sprayer is a mess.

When I need to spray something small and use my HVLP, I just change my nozzle and needle, thin the paint, put it in the hopper, and spray away. When finished, I save the left over paint in a separate container and wash the gun. MUCH easier than an airless sprayer. And the only extra cost is the cost of the nozzle and needle. Compare that to the cost of an airless system.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    What you want is called a conversion HVLP gun. It connects to your regular high pressure compressor. The regulator on the gun is to reduce the pressure to the level for HVLP. I have a couple of Porter Cable PSH-1s but those are no longer offered new. I'm sure there's a bunch of good conversion guns out there.

In my opinion you want a gun that you can change the nozzle and needle but only if you're going to spray very thick paint, such as latex (every now and again, I need to do a small job in regular water based paint - and you have to thin the paint down quite a bit to spray it). For shooting regular shellac or lacquer, I can use the same nozzle and needle.

Two guns are nice - I use one for shellac (which I use as a sanding sealer) and one for lacquer. That way I don't have to switch one gun between the two finishes when doing a finishing job.

Mike
    I have a PSH1 as well. I suspect guns from other sources - Harbor Freight among them - have the same gun without 'Porter-Cable' on the side. I haven't dealt with Homestead Finishing & Jeff Jewitt but have never seen a negative comment. I also have an Earlex 5000. The benefit to the Earlex is portability. The hose is small enough and flexible enough that I don't find it inconvenient. If you need to spray outdoors or at a friend/relative/rental, portability is useful and there really isn't much overspray with the Earlex.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-22-2012 at 6:54 AM.

I bought a$30 Harbor Freight one about 5 years ago. They no longer make that model but it has been great. It did not come with interchangable tips. I have sprayed laquer and enamel paint with mine with no issues. If you are not paint cars I think you will be ok with the lower dollar ones. CH and Kobalt has some at the Borg also.

Jeff Jewitt does sell some lower-priced entry level guns. I doubt he'd sell junk so that would be a great place to start.

I don't think the PSH1 of 10 years ago is exactly the same as the PSH1 of today.

"Conversion air HVLP" guns are usually air hogs and your air compressor may not be able to keep up. I would use some clean solvent or water in the new spray gun first and make sure that you have enough air. You may need to go with a LVLP gun.
    David

It's not $150, but I bought the Earlex setup for about twice that and it's been working well for me (spraying shellac). I think they make a "lesser" rig that's in that price range, but I've never touched one of those...

it is a pain cleaning out an airless system and priming it does take a while but i could never thin down the paint enough to spray it well enough through my fuji help system. perhaps i need a smaller needle? haven't figured that out yet...

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    "Conversion air HVLP" guns are usually air hogs and your air compressor may not be able to keep up. I would use some clean solvent or water in the new spray gun first and make sure that you have enough air. You may need to go with a LVLP gun.
    David
    Agreed. But I have a 1HP Craftsman compressor and use my conversion guns very effectively. I've also used them on a job - in the customer's house - using a pancake compressor. You just have to divide your work up and let the pancake compressor catch up. And by divide the work up, I'm talking maybe a 10' counter, not just little bits.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    it is a pain cleaning out an airless system and priming it does take a while but i could never thin down the paint enough to spray it well enough through my fuji help system. perhaps i need a smaller needle? haven't figured that out yet...
    No, you need a nozzle with a larger hole. The thicker the material, the bigger the nozzle. I use a 2mm for latex paint but a 2.2mm might be better.

Mike

This one has served me and many others well. You can get a 20% off coupon pretty easily so that makes it a great price. The down side is that it only has one tip. I believe woodcraft sells other tips that fit it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...tm_source=1002

James

mike, thanks for the advice. i'll give the #6 nozzle a try... do you have any tricks for figuring out how much material is left in the cup?