Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another question for SawStop owners - Professional or Industrial

another question for SawStop owners - Professional or Industrial

having made the decision to return my Unisaw and get a SawStop (see my thread from yesterday as to why), my question is straightforward....3hp Professional model or 3hp Industrial model?

the difference in cost is about $1,400 (which i'm not even sure i have). my impression is that while the Industrial is a little beefier/substantial the Pro model is all the saw i'm likely to ever need. both seem to be high quality, top-notch pieces of equipment. i use my table saw a lot (i'm in the shop several nights a week and much of the weekend), but i'm not running 8/4 maple through it for hours on end. i just make furniture and other "stuff" in whatever spare time i have. i want (and will pay for) a first-rate machine, but i don't want to buy a lot more than what i need. so, obviously i'm really, really leaning towards the Pro model, but would appreciate any input and observations anybody else can offer.

thanks

BTW I am not an owner of either but have used both.

Simple answer you will most likely be 100% happy with the PCS. If you had been a long time user of the new Uni, PM2000 or other large tabled heavier saw I might feel otherwise but if not you won't miss the extra heft nor the larger table.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've got the Professional Cabinet version and have used a PM2000 for years and other higher end table saws. The SawStop is a very nice piece with lots of very nice engineering and thinking besides the safety system. check out my review for more on all of that stuff. there is so much outside of the safety parts I had to break the review in two pieces. Part 2 is more on the blade brake, part one on everything else.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/sawstoprv.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/sawstop2.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Van,

i think you raise a good point. putting aside my all too short experience with the Unisaw, i'm moving up from a 2hp contractor saw so any decent cabinet saw is going to be a major upgrade. i'm just not sure i can justify the additional $1,400 for the ICS.

also, i apologize for starting another one of these threads. i just now realized there was a similar thread a few weeks back. i didn't see it. nevertheless, any additional input is appreciated.

The PCS didn't exist when I bought mine, so I bought the contractor saw, and even the contractor model is very solid. The PCS is built extrememly well. The ICS is a monster designed for serious cabinet shops, schools and things like that. For that kind of money, I would be looking at sliders, anyhow. I think you will be very happy with the PCS.

I've had the 5hp ICS for several years now and I'm really pleased with it. That being said, I really haven't seen any real advantage to the larger size.

thanks Tom, great review of what appears to be a great piece of equipment.

You will like either. I own the 5hp ICS. Back when I bought it there were just the contractor and it (it was called PCS back then btw). Would be harder to buy the ICS now for sure. Not trading though
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've had the PCS for a couple of years now. I like it a lot. It is a whole letter better than my old Delta contractor's saw it replaced.

well, while i'm sure the PCS is more than enough saw, i've saved and scrimped for too long and am only buying one more saw in my lifetime and don't want to look back and say woulda, shoulda, didn't....so i told Woodcraft to round me up a 3hp ICS. didn't hurt that once the wife saw the SawStop video she (like I'm sure hundreds of other wives) said, "i'll pay the difference between the cost of the PCS and the ICS if it'll keep you from chopping a finger off." i'm sure i'll have to make numerous frames for her work and probably a couple desks and tables in return, but that's ok.

i'm gonna be really sorry to see that new Unisaw taken away. it really looks like a great piece of equipment and i was really proud to have purchased something made in the US. i guess now rather than buying something from a chinese owned company that assembles stuff in the US, i'll have to be content dealing with a US owned and based company that has its stuff assembled offshore.

while i'm sure (i hope) that my experience with Delta is not typical, it sounds like Delta is really having some problems right now. i hope they eventually get it together and keep manufacturing stuff in the US. as i promised in my previous thread, i will post (once the new, new saw arrives) about the specifics of my experience with Delta as well as my impressions of the ICS.

thanks again for all the input and advice.

I recently purchased a 5HP ICS with an Excaliber sliding table, which replaced an older Wadkins Burgreen with a 12" blade capacity. Although I have not used the Powermatic, I have used a Unisaw. There is absolutely no comparisan. Not taking into account the SawStop's safety features, it still is a better saw than the Unisaw. I originally planned to replace the Wadkins Burgreen with a European slider. After looking at the SawStop and factoring in its overall quality along with the safety features, I opted for the SawStop with the Excaliber. The sliding table is remarkably accurate and the function, engineering, and build quality of the SawStop is outstanding. As has been said countless times of the Forum, SawStop's customer service is unsurpassed.

Rob,
    I too have an older Wadkin 12 in that I am considering replacing with a Sawstop. Did you sell yours on the local Craiglslist? Any advice here appreciated.

Vijay

You are going to love that saw Russ. Buying something good only hurts when you pay but you enjoy it every time you use it.

I have the 3 HP PCS and have never had any issues with power for ripping or cross cutting. When I bought it, I looked at the ICS with the 5 HP but could not really find a reason why I would need it. I guess if I was going to be doing a lot of ripping of thicker wood, it would have made sense for me.

I purchased the industrial mobile base which has a small jack which raises the saw up on the wheels so that you can move it around. This has worked well in my shop and glad I got it. In addition, I raised the saw about 6" using a heavy wooden frame in the mobile base. This raised the saw so that it was comfortable for me to use.

15. I have the 5hp ICS and I absolutely love it every time I turn it on. The main reason I got it over the competition was the sheer mass and engineering behind the trunion assembly and the larger table top. If I hadn't gone with the ICS I would have bought the Powermatic pm2000. The safety feature was just a nice bonus.