Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 buick century oil filter?

94 buick century oil filter?

any one ver have trouble getting the oil filter off a 94 buick century? the v6 engine? we were trying to change the oil but we couldnt get on it with the wrench we have and im not sure if theres a special tool to remove it or not, theres not much room to get at it.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    any one ver have trouble getting the oil filter off a 94 buick century? the v6 engine? we were trying to change the oil but we couldnt get on it with the wrench we have and im not sure if theres a special tool to remove it or not, theres not much room to get at it.
    i used to use a big screwdriver and punch it right thru the filter to turn it as I used to work at a chev dealer and saw this all the time.

i had thought of that, but wanted to see if there was a tool or non-destructive meathod. i have taken off oil filters by punching through with a screw driver and dont mind doing that on less important machines, but i know a few people who have dont that on their daily driver car and then were stuck cause the filter shredded and the threads were left in.

There are two basic types of tools that I have in my box. A strap wrench to go around the filter but you have to be careful. If it was overtightened, then getting it off will be a challenge without crushing the filter in the process. THe other tool is a cap with a 3/8 square hole for a ratchet. This just slips on the end of the filter and fits the detenets. THere are vairables of both out there. Just remember when you put the new filter back on go to finger tight plus 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. THere is a rubber gasket there for a reason you are not relying on the threads to seal like on a pipe.

take 5 minutes break, time for a question , if you are using both hands to install the oil filter, HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHAT A 1/8 TURN IS

a big pair of chanel locks pliers works great too. If you bend the filter while doing this don't worry, it is a disposable item. Just be sure to have your new filter on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    a big pair of chanel locks pliers works great too. If you bend the filter while doing this don't worry, it is a disposable item. Just be sure to have your new filter on hand.
    part of the problem is clearance

You can get a tool to remove it using your 3/8 drive socket set. Its pretty cheap and works great, see Marty's post above (not the strap wrench - that won't fit.). Don't need the wrench to tighten but if you do, go easy. Make sure to put a film of oil on the gasket before you install it so it seals properly.

I used to change my own oil on my Ford F-350 with Powerstroke engine since I could crawl under there without jacking it up. One time I did the screwdriver trick and the filter was so tight I was just tearing the sheet metal. I had to walk to an auto parts store multiple times to purchase a few different tools to try to remove the filter. Apparently I had overtightened it big time and nothing would budge it. I ended up having to call a tow truck and have it towed to the dealer since the oil filter was punctured. Luckily, Ford roadside assistance covered the tow since I was still under warranty. Any savings on doing my own oil changes vanished with all the money I spent on filter removal tools.

The moral of the story is that puncturing an oil filter means the vehicle is going anywhere under its own power if you can't get the filter loose after puncturing it.

there is also another useful oil filter removal tool that uses a 3/8" drive ratchet. It has 3 spring loaded fingers, the harder you try to loosen the filter, the harder the fingers dig in. This tool is very useful on many different sizes of filters.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Whats the name of the tools or where can you find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    there is also another useful oil filter removal tool that uses a 3/8" drive ratchet. It has 3 spring loaded fingers, the harder you try to loosen the filter, the harder the fingers dig in. This tool is very useful on many different sizes of filters.

I got one at Harbor Freight. I used it this week to get a hydro filter off my ZTR lawn mower when other wrenches did not work. I did not pay anywhere close to $10 for one. I'm too cheap for that. LOL!!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/univers...nch-99629.html
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Curtis, we have a few different styles at my shop, here is a link to a 2 jaw model that works very well on your size filter.
    http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=377 BTW the one Dave linked to should work fine also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I have the two-jaw type like Jeff shows and like it. The filter on one of my cars is recessed and you can only get to it with an extension and something like that.

I have also seen molded filter wrenches that fit on the end of a socket and fit specific sizes of filters (I had one of those for an accord and it works really well, but they only fit that particular size).

The only filter type I ever really hated was a design that VW had where the metal canister was permanent and you had to take it apart and put a new element in it each time. I think mercedes and audi may have also had that type. The canister had a 30mm nut on the end that wasn't too well shaped, but it stuck off enough to keep someone from getting any normal tool on the filter. I just bought a socket to fit it after fighting it for a while. VW's suggestion is to buy their special tool for everything. I think I could probably do a daily spot where I talked about something I hated on the VW I owned. They must hate mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    VW's suggestion is to buy their special tool for everything. I think I could probably do a daily spot where I talked about something I hated on the VW I owned. They must hate mechanics.
    We work on a very large percentage of VW and Audi's, you are correct in every aspect, yes they have a special tool for EVERYTHING, and yes they hate mechanics.......but the cars sure love the shop!!