Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Came across this light.

Blog Entries
    Man, I hate when they do that. They show a picture of the complete unit then sell you the bolts to mount one. Good catch Neil.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-24-2012 at 6:10 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    Good find Allen!

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

I wonder if you have to buy special light bulbs to fit the fixture.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I found some L.E.D. bulbs for around 12 bucks for it. It has 32 led's on the bulb so it should work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I found some L.E.D. bulbs for around 12 bucks for it. It has 32 led's on the bulb so it should work great.

where did you find them bill

Blog Entries

ordered my light from zoro this morning and just got a notification it has been shipped 84 bucks all in

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    ordered my light from zoro this morning and just got a notification it has been shipped 84 bucks all in
    Sweet! I might have to get one too. Please post a quick review when you get it. Thanks!

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

At $300, this is a very expensive light: http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/ma...ing-dock-light

I was lucky about 3-4 years ago and found this same light on eBay for about $50. It's been working great every since. Instead of hinged arms, it uses a beefy metal flex-hose. There is a low volume fan in the housing which keeps the bulbs cool. By attaching the base housing onto a cabinet door, I've got more than enough range.

Just something to consider, if you happen to stumble upon one of these.

I scored a dual Moffett lamp set up from Craigslist that I mounted to a wooden beam bolted to the rear of my lathe; they're furnished with CF bulbs, which are of cool temperature but I do not like the quality of light. Halogen bulbs give much better light but will burn you if bump an arm against the shade. With your light I see some mounting issues if you want to move your lathe away from the wall. My favorite solution has been to screw two of these together http://www.ebay.com /itm/Flex-Arm-Lamp-Sign-Display-Gooseneck-Fixture-Shade-Camera-Copper-Finish-/260978004825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc380 5359, with a bulb holder and a LED flood lamp http://www.lowes.com/pd_353828-371-6...bulb&facetInfo=. The LED flood casts a bright white light that really illuminates the inside of bowls and hollow forms, albeit from 3 feet away. The bulb lasts forever, is near vibration proof and does not generate significant heat. Its only downfall is that it is mildly bulky and is heavy enough that I had to suspend an S-hook on a string from the ceiling joist to keep the double length of tubing from bending to the ground in defeat. I also picked up a tiny headed LED lamp on a flexible stalk from a vendor at the Florida Woodturning Symposium for $36 lthat I thougt would be underpowered but am very pleased with because its light is bright, focused and and its head literally can be placed inside a hollowform as you are turning. If I can remember the vendor"s name I will post it later; I do remember that he did not have a webpage. Good lighting has really improved my woodturning efforts.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-24-2012 at 6:06 AM.

11. Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Very nice unit. Now if only I had walls...
    David,

Make you a stand out of a couple of 2x4's and put bracing on the bottom and screw it down to your floor. It should have enough stability to allow you to hang a light from it........position behind your lathe. If you could find an attach point to your tent frame up top somehow, then you would be rock solid.

It is likely something do-able for you with a little thought put into it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Good think I'm in AZ, if I were in ca some of these lights may have caused cancer.
    I ordered the one i posted. I like the idea of using l.e.d. bulbs. Less heat and great lighting. Plus they last for years. With the 40" arm I'll be able to swing it the opposite way and have it over my assembly area too. It just never ends does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bosdet View Post
    Holy Crap! Nobody buy this item I linked! It doesn't specify the arm length so I contacted the company. The arms are NOT included!!!! The original poster, Bill, had found a better buy.
    I tired to report to Amazon that the picture did not match the item being sold. (Too much time on my hands!). Got a response that the picture was fine.
    Regards,
    Dick

I am using a desk top hinged arm lamp which is so so. I have it on a stand that goes on a construction light. It often is a real pain to move around do to shavings on floor. Puting the light on the ceiling with long arms is a great idea.
    I turn, therefore I am