Thread: Solutions for keeping CA glue off pen bushings?

Solutions for keeping CA glue off pen bushings?

Just curious what the pros are doing. I think I'm starting to get the hang of getting a good CA finish on my pens, but I'm running into problems with the glue sticking to the bushings, and when I pull the bushings off the finish chips or peels off the pen blank, which is super frustrating. Just curious what some of you guys do. I try not to get glue on the bushings, but to get the ends of the blank some glue seems inevitable.
    Where did I put that?

Rob, the first thing I do is to wax the bushing good before I install it into the ends of blanks(tubes) before turning. this prevents another major problem where the bushing is occasionally glued to the inside of the tube and I usually end up destroying the blank to get it out. Wax also "helps" address your issue but not entirely. If I suspect I have too much of a buildup of CA at the bushing/blank juncture I will use my skew to cut through the CA a few thousandths of an inch away from the juncture and over the bushing. This prevents the skew from cutting into the edge of the blank. After the bushing is removed from the blank I stand the blank on end on a piece of 220 or higher sandpaper and turn it with my fingers to sand off and flatten any protruding ring of CA.

"The best things in life are not things."

Rob,

I turn the lathe on at about the same speed as I use to put the CA on, and cut the CA at the joint, just a hair toward the bushing with a sharp utility knife upside down. The blade upside down works like a tiny parting tool, and cuts a very narrow ribbon of glue. If the sharp edge of the blade is used, it cuts and pushes the glue slightly to the side. This causes a slight compacting, and can chip the glue, or leave a raised edge. Upside down works most of the time. I have had it chip once or twice. Then soak the bushings in a little acetone. Oh wait, you asked for the pros opinion. Just disregard this as I am definitely not a pro.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Both JD and Brian have great ideas. I have never had a problem with CA sticking to the outside of a bushing...just the inside sometimes! If a stick does happen, a little rap of the bushing on the head of the lathe will release it. If you get a chip, put it back on, sand it down and add more CA. If the other one sticks...knock it out with a punch or knock out tool. I was sent a set of Delrin bushings by Berea...nice folks! They are only for finishing!!! Although nothing is supposed to stick to them...a little Johnson's paste wax, same thing I use on my lathe bed's...works great. You can always lose the bushings and put the blank between centers for finishing. Make sure you have 60 degree center and tail stock and do not!!! apply much pressure!! That cover everything? Lemme know if you have ?'s.
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-23-2012 at 6:32 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

how about not using bushings when applying the CA
    put a dead center in the headstock and a 60 degree live center in the tailstock.
    You'll get more consistant results than with bushings on or off of a mandrel.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

How not to get CA on the bushings is easy. Don't use them. No need to use the bushings for putting a finish on a blank. Get yourself a rod of delron and make some between center bushings. Does not have to be 60 degrees. Just put a cone shape so that it can insert in the tube ends. Spin the other end to fit your drill chuck in the tailstock and just fit to headstock hole. If you get a small rod then use a chuck to hold it. As far as people putting wax on bushings they need to be very careful of contamination in the finish. I do not use any wax on any bushings of any type.

Just a side note it is a very good idea to use some thin CA on the ends of your wood blanks. The reason is if you are wet sanding the MM you will run the risk of getting water on the bare wood ends and thus getting under the finish and causing problems such as lifting and cloudiness. Just a tip.
    John T.

thanks for all the tips, I like the idea of turning it on it's own. I just finished an BOW pen for a friend who gave me some chunks of walnut- only to have a big bubble pop up on one end when I pulled the bushing off. I did treat the ends with thin CA before turning for the reasons mentioned above. I tried wiping down the olive with acetone first as well to remove any surface oils- but the CA still peeled off it. I may use shellac/WTF on oily woods from now on, I've had a handful of CA finishes peel right off the wood- maybe I'm using bad glue. I bought it from Rockler, maybe I need a different brand.
    Where did I put that?

CA can and will go bad Rob. It's a great finish and there are some good dvd's on Youtube with tips and tricks.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

what brand are you using Jim? I would definitely consider your work 'pro' quality.
    Where did I put that?